Somebody to Love (Leighton Meester song)
|"Somebody to Love"|
|Single by Leighton Meester featuring Robin Thicke|
|Released||October 14, 2009|
|Leighton Meester singles chronology|
|Robin Thicke singles chronology|
"Somebody to Love" is a song by American actress and singer Leighton Meester featuring Robin Thicke. Written by Meester, Thicke, Mike Caren, Ollie Goldstein, Rico Love, and Shahine Ezell, and produced by Caren, the song was released as a digital single on October 14, 2009 by Universal Republic Records.
The song was featured in the ninth episode of the third season of the television series Gossip Girl (in which Meester starred as Blair Waldorf), titled "They Shoot Humphreys, Don't They?" and originally aired November 9, 2009. It is also included on the soundtrack to the 2010 film Valentine's Day.
"Somebody to Love" is a midtempo electropop song that combines Meester's "pop-electronica vibe" with Thicke's "smooth R&B stylings". The track contains a synth-driven sing-along chorus, and was said to "[hark] back to Madonna's early-'90s dance music". Meester told MTV News that the song is "basically about how I can't get any—I can't find anyone to love." In an interview for On Air with Ryan Seacrest on October 13, 2009—where the song was premiered—, Meester said, "I really wanted to make something that's completely different from anything that's on the radio right now. I feel like it's really dancy and fun, but it's still laid back and relaxed and moody and sexy." Of the single, songwriter Love told MTV News, "I was honored when I found out that my record was chosen to be Leighton's first single. It's exciting to be able to show a different side of my work and me."
Sarah MacRory of Billboard described the song as "a carefully constructed ode to vintage Madonna—particularly in its 'Vogue'-like verses, where Meester semi-raps rather than sings. The lyrics are lovelorn, as she celebrates her jet-setter lifestyle but also mourns her inability to settle down." She noted Thicke's cameo as "[t]he song's high point", as he "delivers a catchy chorus that cries out for a sped-up dance remix." Pitchfork Media's Stephen M. Deusner, however, gave it a mixed review, praising Meester's "sleepy/sexy delivery" but criticizing her "very narrow" vocal range and her "[mangling of] simple French pronunciation", referring to her pronunciation of the French phrase "Je t'adore" ("I adore you").
The music video was directed by Zoe Cassavetes and filmed in New York City in October 2009. A preview of the video was first shown during the November 2, 2009 episode of Gossip Girl, with the full-length video being launched on CWTV.com on November 9 immediately after its broadcast on The CW Network. Meester explained the concept of the video, saying, "I want it to be telling a story. But a lot about the photography and the lighting, and mostly about the clothes." Meester added to MTV News, "It's basically going through ... a sexy day in my life. We start off in the car, we come in, I keep on fantasizing and dreaming that I'm with somebody I can love. He [Thicke] kind of comes and goes."
The video is about finding love in a world consumed with fleeting lust and one-night stands. It consists mostly of shots of Meester in the back of a limousine in the city at night and posing on a couch. It is intercut with scenes of Meester fantasizing about hooking up with Thicke inside an elevator and in her apartment, as well as scenes of Thicke performing his parts of the song. It also includes cameo appearances by Laker Girl Vanessa Curry and one of the song's writers, Shahine Ezell.
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles||11|
|US Heatseekers Songs||13|
|Canada||October 14, 2009||Digital download|
|Australia||October 16, 2009|
|United States||October 26, 2009||Mainstream radio|
- "The Billboard Reviews". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc.: 9– 3 October 2009. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Somebody to Love (feat. Robin Thicke) – Single by Leighton Meester". iTunes Store US. Apple. Retrieved November 20, 2011.
- "The CW's November Sweep highlights: Vampires, witches, Lady Gaga, Leighton Meester's new single and the return of Heather Locklear". The CW. October 22, 2009. Archived from the original on October 26, 2009. Retrieved November 15, 2017.
- "FIRST LISTEN: Like Taylor Swift? Stream the Valentine's Day Soundtrack!". People. Time. February 1, 2010. Retrieved November 20, 2011.
- Bain, Becky (February 11, 2010). "Screen Jams: 'Valentine's Day'". Idolator. Spin Media. Retrieved November 20, 2011.
- Vena, Jocelyn (October 14, 2009). "Leighton Meester Hooks Up With Robin Thicke For 'Somebody To Love'". MTV News. Retrieved October 15, 2009.
- Lamb, Bill. "Leighton Meester featuring Robin Thicke – "Somebody to Love"". About.com. The New York Times Company. Retrieved October 15, 2009.
- Sadao (October 13, 2009). "EXCLUSIVE: Listen to Leighton Meester's First Single "Somebody To Love"". ryanseacrest.com. Archived from the original on October 17, 2009. Retrieved October 15, 2009.
- Gicas, Peter (October 13, 2009). "Leighton Meester's Looking for "Somebody to Love"". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- MacRory, Sarah (December 1, 2009). "Leighton Meester featuring Robin Thicke, "Somebody to Love"". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- Deusner, Stephen M. (December 2, 2009). "Leighton Meester: "Somebody to Love" [ft. Robin Thicke]". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved December 14, 2009.
- Backer, Rya (October 19, 2009). "'Gossip Girl' Leighton Meester Searches For Robin Thicke In First Music Video". MTV Newsroom. Archived from the original on June 29, 2012. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- "Universal Republic Records/Time-Act Music and Verizon Wireless to premiere sneak peek of Leighton Meester's debut video "Somebody To Love" during The CW'S "Gossip Girl" on November 2nd". The CW. October 22, 2009. Archived from the original on November 16, 2009. Retrieved November 15, 2017.
- Karmali, Sarah (November 9, 2009). "FIRST LOOK! Leighton Meester's new music video". Marie Claire. IPC Media. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- Vena, Jocelyn (November 9, 2009). "Leighton Meester Seduces Robin Thicke In 'Somebody To Love' Video". MTV News. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- Donovan (November 11, 2009). "Leighton Meester's "Somebody To Love" Music Video". Homorazzi.com. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- Anitai, Tamar (November 24, 2009). "Watch Leighton Meester Perform Live On 'It's On With Alexa Chung'". MTV Buzzworthy. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Leighton Meester – Chart history: Bubbling Under Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Leighton Meester – Chart history: Heatseekers Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 20, 2011.
- "Somebody to Love (feat. Robin Thicke) – Single by Leighton Meester". iTunes Store Canada. Apple. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Somebody to Love (feat. Robin Thicke) – Single by Leighton Meester". iTunes Store Australia. Apple. Retrieved November 20, 2011.
- "Somebody to Love (feat. Robin Thicke) – Single by Leighton Meester". iTunes Store France. Apple. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Somebody to Love (feat. Robin Thicke) – Single by Leighton Meester". iTunes Store Germany. Apple. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "CHR – 2009". FMQB. Retrieved November 20, 2011.