Someday (Flipsyde song)
|Single by Flipsyde|
|from the album We the People|
|Released||April 26, 2005|
|Format||CD single, Digital download|
|Genre||Alternative hip-hop, R&B|
|Flipsyde singles chronology|
"Someday" was chosen by NBC as the theme song to advertise their coverage of the 2006 Winter Olympics, as the network felt its sound would attract younger viewers. Though the single did not chart in the United States, the resulting exposure led to an increase in album sales and Flipsyde performing at the 2006 Winter X Games.
Two music videos were produced, one by NBC featuring ice skaters Michelle Kwan and Apolo Anton Ohno, and the other as the official video. The track was additionally included in the soundtrack of the 2008 film Never Back Down.
Patrick Ryan of USA Today praised the single in 2016 as one of the "best Olympics theme songs" for its "unique combination of rap and Spanish guitar". However, Troy Farah of the Phoenix New Times wrote that it was "a transparent attempt by NBC to get the younger generation to pay attention to the Olympics", while Travis Jones of The Sydney Morning Herald criticized its selection due to its lyrical content that he felt had no connection to the event.
- "Someday" — 4:00
- "Someday (instrumental)" — 4:19
|Finland Top 40 Singles||10|
|German Top 100 Singles||10|
|Swedish Top 40 Singles||29|
- Weiss, Joanna (January 31, 2006). "For Flipsyde, a golden moment". Boston Globe. Retrieved March 5, 2009.
- Farah, Troy (July 24, 2012). "The Best and Worst Olympic Theme Songs in History". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved November 10, 2017.
- "Ranking the 10 best (and worst) Olympics theme songs". Entertain This!. USA Today. August 4, 2016. Retrieved November 10, 2017.
- Jones, Travis (July 20, 2016). "Six Olympics songs that failed to live up to the hype". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved November 10, 2017.
- ""Someday" Chart Performance". Retrieved 2009-03-05.
- "Sweden Top 40 (2005-08-27)". Retrieved 2009-03-05.[permanent dead link]