Someone Great (film)
|Directed by||Jennifer Kaytin Robinson|
|Written by||Jennifer Kaytin Robinson|
|Music by||Germaine Franco|
Someone Great is a 2019 American romantic comedy film written and directed by Jennifer Kaytin Robinson. The film stars Gina Rodriguez, Brittany Snow and DeWanda Wise. It was released by Netflix on April 19, 2019.
Jenny, a music journalist living in New York City, lands her dream job with Rolling Stone in San Francisco. Her boyfriend of 9 years, Nate, breaks up with her, and she spirals into a depression. Her best friends Erin, a real estate agent afraid to admit her feelings to her girlfriend, and Blair, a social media manager who needs to break up with her boyfriend who she's lost chemistry with, are the only ones who can bring her out of it. Jenny contacts Erin and Blair after finding out the concert series known as Neon Classic is putting on a pop up show at Sony Hall and proposes one last adventure together before she moves, both to celebrate her new chapter in her life and to mend her broken heart. Throughout the film, Jenny has several flashbacks that illustrate the rise and decline of her relationship with Nate triggered by a song or place.
The girls meet up, and throughout the day they find it difficult to secure tickets for the concert, eventually getting them through Jenny's ex-boyfriend, Matt, with whom Blair has sex. Erin and Jenny run into Leah, Erin's girlfriend, and it's clear Erin has some unresolved issues stemming from her fear of commitment. Blair breaks up with her boyfriend after finding him at her apartment without her, and it ends amicably. The girls all go to the concert in the evening and Jenny runs into Nate but can't bring herself to talk to him, and gets separated from her friends. Matt takes her to the after party where she realizes she needs closure.
After a heart to heart where Erin admits she needs to grow up and Blair admits that she needs to lower her own expectations, they both go to find Jenny at the after party, but not before Erin meets up with her girlfriend and they profess their feelings for one another after agreeing to take their relationship slow.
They find out that Jenny's no longer at the after party. They're initially confused when they're told that Jenny went to "finish it," referring to the relationship. Erin realizes that Jenny's at the place that her relationship truly began, Washington Square Park. Jenny is found sitting on the side of the fountain where Nate had written their initials and a smiley face inscribed within a heart 9 years prior. Initially it seems that Nate came to apologize and ask to take her back, but this is proven to be a dream that Jenny had after she passed out. Blair and Erin come to find her and the three girls walk off together, promising that their friendship will stay strong even after Jenny leaves for California.
- Gina Rodriguez as Jenny Young
- Brittany Snow as Blair Helms
- DeWanda Wise as Erin Kennedy
- Lakeith Stanfield as Nate Davis
- Peter Vack as Matt Lasher
- Rebecca Naomi Jones as Leah
- Alex Moffat as Will
- RuPaul Charles as Hype
- Rosario Dawson as Hannah Davis
- Michelle Buteau as Cynthia
- Jaboukie Young-White as Mikey
- Ben Sidell as Gus
- Joe Locicero as Paul
- Questlove as himself
- Jessie Reyez as herself
In February 2018, Gina Rodriguez signed on to star in and produce a film to serve as the directorial debut of Jennifer Kaytin Robinson from a screenplay she wrote. The story was described as being about loss, growing up and, above all, the everlasting bond of female friendships. In March 2018, Brittany Snow and DeWanda Wise were cast to portray the close friends of Rodriguez's character, while Lakeith Stanfield also joined the cast to portray the ex-boyfriend of Rodriguez's character. In April 2018, Rosario Dawson joined the cast of the film.
The film was released on April 19, 2019.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 84% based on 37 reviews, with an average rating of 5.87/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "What Someone Great lacks in originality it makes up for in relatability and charm, thanks in large part to the undeniable chemistry between its talented leads."
Taylor Swift’s album 1989, especially the track "Clean", was cited as the inspiration for the film, which has in turn been cited by Swift as the inspiration for her song "Death by a Thousand Cuts", which features on her album Lover.
- "Someone great". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved April 26, 2019.
- Kit, Borys (February 26, 2018). "Gina Rodriguez to Star In, Produce Netflix Romantic Comedy 'Someone Great' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 26, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (March 27, 2018). "Brittany Snow Joining Gina Rodriguez in Romantic Comedy 'Someone Great' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- "DeWanda Wise in Talks to Join Gina Rodriguez, Brittany Snow in Netflix ROM-COM 'Something Great'". The Tracking Board. March 27, 2018. Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- Galuppo, Mia (March 30, 2018). "Lakeith Stanfield in Talks to Join Gina Rodriguez in Rom-Com 'Someone Great'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- Friedman, Christopher (April 19, 2018). "Rosario Dawson comforts distraught Gina Rodriguez as she joins upcoming Netflix movie Someone Great". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Sneider, Jeff (January 28, 2019). "Not sure if these Netflix release dates are new, but here goes nothing! Brie Larson's UNICORN STORE coming sometime in April, while @HereIsGina's rom-com SOMEONE GREAT will debut on April 19. We'll also get Amy Poehler's comedy WINE COUNTRY on May 10. Drink up, baby!". Twitter. Retrieved January 28, 2019.
- "Someone Great (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved April 26, 2019.
- "Lizzo Scores First Billboard Hot 100 Entry With 'Truth Hurts'". Billboard. May 13, 2019. Retrieved August 27, 2019.
- "Lizzo Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved August 27, 2019.
- Hughes, Hilary (August 25, 2019). "Taylor Swift Calls Rom-Com Inspiration Behind 'Lover' Song the 'Most Meta Thing That's Ever Happened to Me'". Billboard. Retrieved August 27, 2019.