Someone Knows Something
|'Someone Knows Something'|
|Hosted by||David Ridgen|
|Written by||David Ridgen|
|Theme music composed by||Bob Wiseman|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||34|
|Original release||March 2, 2016 – present|
Someone Knows Something (or SKS for short) is a podcast by Canadian award-winning filmmaker and writer David Ridgen, first released in March 2016. The series is hosted, written and produced by Ridgen and mixed by Cesil Fernandes. The series is also produced by Chris Oke, Steph Kampf and executive producer Arif Noorani.
Using investigative journalism, Ridgen narrates a nonfiction story about a criminal cold case over multiple episodes. Episodes are released on a weekly basis; most of the Season 1 episodes ranged from 15 to 40 minutes in length, with Season 2 episodes ranging between 32 and 80 minutes in length. Season 3 was released in November of 2017. Season 4 began in February of 2018. 
Episodes of Someone Knows Something are also sometimes broadcast on CBC Radio One as substitute programming, such as on public holidays and during the summer when some of its regular shows are on hiatus.
The first season of SKS focuses on the June 12, 1972 disappearance of Adrien McNaughton, a five-year-old boy who vanished during a family fishing trip in Eastern Ontario. The McNaughton family is from Arnprior, Ontario, where Ridgen grew up (he and his family moved there shortly after Adrien’s disappearance).
The second season follows the disappearance of Sheryl Sheppard in Hamilton, Ontario. Sheppard went missing on January 2, 1998, two days after her boyfriend, Michael Lavoie, offered a proposal of marriage on a live TV broadcast. With some assistance from Sheppard's mother, Odette Fisher, Ridgen looks into the case as well as the backgrounds of both Sheryl and Michael, who has been the only person the Hamilton Police Service has named as a suspect in Sheryl's disappearance.
Season 3 of SKS, all six episodes of which were released during the week of November 7, 2017, revisits the 1964 deaths of two teenagers in Mississippi, Charles Moore and Henry Dee; Ridgen previously explored the cold case in a 2007 documentary for CBC, Mississippi Cold Case, which resulted in a re-opening of the case and the eventual conviction of James Ford Seale for the abductions of Moore and Dee. Season 4, which is scheduled to be released later in the winter of 2018, will explore another murder Ridgen had documented for CBC, that of Wayne Greavette, who was killed through the use of a flashlight bomb sent to him in the mail.
|No.||Title||Length (minutes:seconds)||Original air date|
|0||"Prologue: 'Do it, David. Do it.'"||6:39||February 28, 2016|
|David Ridgen considers whether he should create Someone Knows Something.|
|1||"The family"||23:57||February 29, 2016|
|One day in June, in the small town of Arnprior, Ontario, Adrien McNaughton, 5 years old, vanishes without a trace. He was on a fishing trip with his family, while he went into the woods, not to be heard of again. Ridgen meets the McNaughton family and visits the lake where the boy was last seen on June 12, 1972.|
|2||"Mr. Ring"||28:21||March 7, 2016|
|Ridgen ventures into the backwoods of Eastern Ontario to speak with a witness who was present in the moments leading up to Adrien's disappearance.|
|3||"The theories"||39:32||March 14, 2016|
|David Ridgen speaks with those involved in the initial search for Adrien McNaughton, and weighs every available theory about the cause of his disappearance — from abduction to bear attack.|
|4||"Hello, Adrien?"||27:57||March 21, 2016|
|Is Adrien still alive? If so, what would he look like today? Forensic artist Diana Trepkov creates a series of age-progression sketches to help SKS in their quest to solve the mystery of McNaughton's disappearance.|
|5||"Breeze & Grief"||27:41||February 28, 2016|
|Two cadaver dogs are brought in to search the area of Holmes Lake where Adrien was last seen.|
|6||"The scent"||31:44||April 3, 2016|
|The cadaver dogs continue their search for the scent of human remains in the Holmes Lake area.|
|7||"First Attempt"||34:26||April 10, 2016|
|A divemaster prepares to search Holmes Lake before winter arrives and the lake freezes over. John Gervais identifies the mysterious vehicle he saw at the lake the day Adrien disappeared.|
|8||"Clyde Forks"||39:18||April 17, 2016|
|Two psychics, working independently, point to the remote town of Clyde Forks in their readings of Adrien's fate and whereabouts, raising the possibility that the missing boy could have grown up in a secluded town just an hour's drive from his family home|
|9||"What we know"||13:25||April 24, 2016|
|While the investigation pauses as search divers wait for Holmes Lake to thaw, this episode revisits the people, information and new leads that have been uncovered in the case so far.|
|10||"The Abyss"||44:13||May 2, 2016|
|Five scuba divers conduct a search of Holmes Lake.|
|11||"Terminus"||37:13||May 12, 2016|
|David Ridgen wraps up loose ends, looks into ways to continue the investigation into Adrien's disappearance, and speaks with the McNaughton family about their experience of reopening the case.|
|TBA||"Season 1 Update"||9:23||December 7, 2016|
|Released during Season 2, this update offers outcomes of dives into Holmes Lake that took place after Season 1's conclusion.|
On October 21, 2016, a message posted on the show's Facebook page announced that Season 2 is "coming soon". The first episode of the second season aired on November 21, 2016, with episodes released on a weekly basis (excluding a break for Boxing Week) through the season's conclusion on February 12. It was rebroadcast in the summer of 2017, from June 29 to September 3.
|No.||Title||Length (minutes:seconds)||Original air date|
|1||"The Trailer Park"||43:16||November 21, 2016|
|Ridgen meets Sheryl Sheppard's mother, Odette Fisher, who recalls learning of her daughter's disappearance after returning from visiting family in New Brunswick, as well as learning second-hand of Sheryl's marriage proposal from her boyfriend, Michael Lavoie.|
|2||"The Hammer"||44:17||November 28, 2016|
|Ridgen begins to piece together what happened the weekend of Sheryl's disappearance and speaks with Hamilton Police Service detectives about their original investigation as well as their discovery of Lavoie suffocating from carbon monoxide fumes.|
|3||"Blondie"||1:16:52||December 5, 2016|
|Who was Sheryl Sheppard? Ridgen speaks with her family, friends, and coworkers to try to find out if there was anything in her past that could provide clues to explain her sudden disappearance.|
|4||"Intimation"||46:37||December 12, 2016|
|A look into Sheryl's possible whereabouts in the hours before her disappearance; an examination of the apartment Sheryl, Michael, and Odette Fisher shared — a place where police forensic officers had performed an extensive survey for clues.|
|5||"Girlfriend"||43:50||December 19, 2016|
|In the weeks surrounding Sheryl's disappearance, Michael Lavoie began a relationship with another woman, Sheila Darbyson, who speaks with David.|
|6||"Stepbrother"||32:11||January 2, 2017|
|Before dating Michael, Sheila Darbyson had a relationship with Michael's stepbrother, Mark Dempsey, who speaks with David about family ties, betrayal, and the criminal code.|
|7||"Ghost"||37:51||January 9, 2017|
|Following an unsuccessful trip out West to speak with the mother of Michael's children, Ridgen heads back to Hamilton to learn more details about the police's original investigation, and speaks with a Hamilton Spectator reporter who covered the case.|
|8||"Gwen"||39:30||January 16, 2017|
|Gwen, the mother of Michael's children, accepts an open interview invitation; she talks about her relationship with Michael, what she recalls from those crucial days in January 1998, and the effect that Sheryl's disappearance had on Gwen and her family.|
|9||"The Appearance of Force"||50:05||January 23, 2017|
|A forensic psychologist decodes Michael and Sheryl's body language in the New Year's Eve proposal video; one of that broadcast's hosts talks with David; possible violence between Michael and Sheryl is examined.|
|10||"Mom"||1:01:03||January 30, 2017|
|Seeking background on Michael Lavoie, Ridgen speaks with Michael's mother, other members of the Lavoie family, and those who knew Michael as a child.|
|11||"Blackmail"||1:12:43||February 6, 2017|
|As Ridgen tries to track down and speak to Sheryl's ex-husband, evidence begins to pile up that Sheryl may have known her life was in danger.|
|12||"Lavoie"||1:20:37||February 13, 2017|
|Sheryl's possible current whereabouts are considered; two of Sheryl's closest friends shed light on Sheryl's behavior before her disappearance; Ridgen makes contact with Michael Lavoie, who has long remained silent about the case.|
- "About | Someone Knows Something | CBC Radio". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "CBC's Someone Knows Something taps into Serial podcast success". NOW Toronto Magazine - Think Free. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- Yeo, Debra (2016-03-02). "Someone Knows Something to focus on cold cases, beginning with the disappearance of Adrien McNaughton in 1972". The Toronto Star. ISSN 0319-0781. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "Introducing Season 2: Sheryl Sheppard". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "CBC podcast explores 1998 Hamilton cold case," from Hamilton Spectator, 11/21/2016
- Source: Someone Knows Something website (accessed 11/13/2017)
- "Prologue: 'Do it, David. Do it.'". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "Episode one: The family". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "Episode two: Mr. Ring". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "Episode three: The theories". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "Episode four: Hello, Adrien?". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "Episode five: Breeze & Grief". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "Episode six: The scent". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "Episode seven: First attempt". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "Episode eight: Clyde Forks". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "Episode nine: What we know". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "Episode ten: The abyss". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "Episode eleven: Terminus". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- Someone Knows Something Season 1 update from CBC.ca (accessed 3/13/2017)
- "Someone Knows Something - Timeline | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- CBC Radio, Listen to SKS Season 2 on CBC Radio One this summer. Accessed August 21, 2017.
- "Episode 1: The Trailer Park". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "Episode 2: The Hammer". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Episode 3: Blondie". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Episode 4: Intimation". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- "Episode 5: Girlfriend". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- "Episode 6: Stepbrother". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- "Episode 7: Ghost". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- "Episode 8: Gwen". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "Episode 9: The Appearance of Force". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2017-01-23.
- "SKS Season 2, Episode 10: Mom". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- "SKS Season 2, Episode 11: Blackmail". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- "SKS Season 2, Episode 12: Lavoie". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2017-03-21.