Somerset Township, Michigan
|Somerset Township, Michigan|
|• Total||35.5 sq mi (92.1 km2)|
|• Land||33.4 sq mi (86.4 km2)|
|• Water||2.2 sq mi (5.7 km2)|
|Elevation||1,070 ft (326 m)|
|• Density||128.2/sq mi (49.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627090|
Somerset Township is a civil township of Hillsdale County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 4,277 at the 2000 census. The Grand River, Michigan's longest river, begins at natural springs within the township.
- Bakers was a station on the Detroit, Toledo and Milwaukee Railroad at . Storekeeper Don H. Elliott became its first postmaster on October 20, 1897. The office operated until December 14, 1903.
- Jerome is an unincorporated community within the township at . The FIPS place code is 41740. The ZIP code is 49249.
- Somerset is an unincorporated community within the township on U.S. Highway 12 at . The FIPS place code is 74540. The ZIP code is 49281. Circa 1989 photographs of Somerset.
- Somerset Center is an unincorporated community within the township on US 12 at FIPS place code is 74580. The ZIP code is 49282. . The
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.5 square miles (92 km2), of which 33.4 square miles (87 km2) is land and 2.2 square miles (5.7 km2) (6.13%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,277 people, 1,687 households, and 1,312 families residing in the township. The population density was 128.2 per square mile (49.5/km²). There were 2,161 housing units at an average density of 64.8 per square mile (25.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.90% White, 0.37% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.44% from other races, and 0.87% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.38% of the population.
There were 1,687 households out of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.9% were married couples living together, 6.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.2% were non-families. 18.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the township the population was spread out with 23.0% under the age of 18, 5.7% from 18 to 24, 26.2% from 25 to 44, 30.3% from 45 to 64, and 14.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 101.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $48,529, and the median income for a family was $51,278. Males had a median income of $43,973 versus $29,244 for females. The per capita income for the township was $22,462. About 2.8% of families and 4.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.8% of those under age 18 and 2.8% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Somerset Township, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Bakers Post Office
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.