Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School
|Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School|
|14 Vogt Drive
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
|Type||Vocational public high school|
|School district||Somerset County Vocational and Technical School District|
|Faculty||53.9 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||383 (as of 2012-13)|
|Student to teacher ratio||7.10:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Athletics conference||New Jersey Technical Interscholastic League|
The Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School (SCVTHS) is a fully accredited, four-year vocational public high school located on an 80-acre (320,000 m2) campus in Bridgewater Township, in Somerset County, New Jersey, United States. The school is part of the Somerset County Vocational and Technical School District, which serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from all of Somerset County. The school offers over 20 different programs, on both a full-time and part-time basis, that combine training in occupational and academic skills.
As of the 2012-13 school year, the school had an enrollment of 383 students and 53.9 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 7.10:1. There were 61 students (15.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 29 (7.6% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Full-time students earn both a high school diploma and a vocational certificate in their specific specialty area. Part-time students earn a certificate from SCVTHS in their specialty area, and receive an academic education at their home district. Starting with the 2009-10 school year, full-time students have a college track option for their academic classes.
The Gifted and Talented Performing Arts Program
Somerset Vo-Tech consistes of a rigorous performing arts program known for much success. This program divides into two branches; Acting and Acting with Vocal Music. All Theatre Arts Majors at SCVTHS are taught by the guidelines of Stanford Meisner. The program is very competitive as it is know to only hold about 50 students (grades 9-12) total. The Theatre department produces two main-stage productions (one musical and one drama) and a few showcases throughout the school year. Selected students are granted a chance to perform in a showcase for talent representatives at the end of the year. Almost all students after finishing the program intend to carry out with this passion through college and then as a career of being a dedicated performer.
Awards, recognition and rankings
Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 163rd out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 39 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (77.8%) and language arts literacy (97.2%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The Academy for Health and Medical Sciences
The Academy for Health and Medical Sciences is a program offered by Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School. It is considered a "school within a school" and is a partnership between the high school and Raritan Valley Community College. In this program, students earn up to 64 college credits from the college, graduating with a high school diploma from SCVTHS as well as an associate's degree from the college.
The school competes independently with interscholastic sports operating under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 415 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as Central Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 49 to 476 students in that grade range.
- Superintendent and Business Office Personnel, Somerset County Vocational & Technical Schools. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- School Data for Somerset County Vocational Technical High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed March 29, 2015.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 24, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for Central Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 24, 2014.
- Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School website
- Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School, National Center for Education Statistics