Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School
|Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School|
|14 Vogt Drive
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
|Type||Vocational public high school|
|School district||Somerset County Vocational and Technical School District|
|Enrollment||329 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||5.8:1|
Navy Blue and|
|Athletics conference||New Jersey Technical Interscholastic League|
The Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School (SCVTHS) is a fully accredited, four-year vocational public high school located on an 80-acre (320,000 m2) campus in Bridgewater Township, in Somerset County, New Jersey, United States. The school is part of the Somerset County Vocational and Technical School District, which serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from all of Somerset County. The school offers over 20 different programs, on both a full-time and part-time basis, that combine training in occupational and academic skills.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 329 students and 56.4 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 5.8:1. There were 49 students (14.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 25 (7.6% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Full-time students earn both a high school diploma and a vocational certificate in their specific specialty area. Part-time students earn a certificate from SCVTHS in their specialty area, and receive an academic education at their home district. Starting with the 2009-10 school year, full-time students have a college track option for their academic classes.
Awards, recognition and rankings
Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 163rd out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 39 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (77.8%) and language arts literacy (97.2%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
Gifted and Talented Performing Arts Program
Somerset Vo-Tech offers a rigorous performing arts program that divides into two branches; Acting and Acting with Vocal Music. All Theater Arts Majors at SCVTHS are taught by the guidelines of Stanford Meisner. The program is very competitive as it is known to only hold about 50 students (grades 9-12) total. The Theater department produces two main-stage productions (one musical and one drama) and a few showcases throughout the school year. Selected students are granted a chance to perform in a showcase for talent representatives at the end of the year. Almost all students after finishing the program intend to carry out with this passion through college and then as a career of being a dedicated performer.
Academy for Health and Medical Sciences
The Academy for Health and Medical Sciences is a program offered as a "school within a school" as a partnership between the high school and Raritan Valley Community College. In this program, students earn up to 64 college credits from the college, graduating with a high school diploma from SCVTHS as well as an associate's degree from the college.
The Somerset County Vo-Tech Jaguars compete independently with interscholastic sports operating under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 340 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as Central Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 12 to 467 students in that grade range.
- Superintendent and Business Office Personnel, Somerset County Vocational & Technical Schools. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- School data for Somerset County Vocational Technical High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Somerset County Vo-Tech High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 2, 2016.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School website
- Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School, National Center for Education Statistics