Somerset Township, Belmont County, Ohio
|Somerset Township, Belmont County, Ohio|
Hill country in the central part of the township
Location of Somerset Township in Belmont County
|• Total||34.8 sq mi (90.1 km2)|
|• Land||34.6 sq mi (89.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|Elevation||1,257 ft (383 m)|
|• Density||36/sq mi (13.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085785|
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Warren Township - north
- Goshen Township - northeast corner
- Wayne Township - east
- Malaga Township, Monroe County - south
- Seneca Township, Monroe County - southwest
- Beaver Township, Noble County - west
- Millwood Township, Guernsey County - northwest
No municipalities are located in Somerset Township.
Name and history
It is the only Somerset Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Somerset township, Belmont County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.