Something Got Me Started
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Something Got Me Started"|
|Single by Simply Red|
|from the album Stars|
|Released||9 September 1991(original version)|
|Studio||Condulmer Recording, Venice, Italy|
|Simply Red singles chronology|
"Something Got Me Started" was released in several forms — a 7-inch single, a 12-inch single and a CD version, which included a remix by Perfecto (Paul Oakenfold and Steve Osborne). The single version eventually made number 11 in the UK and German charts, number 23 in the US Billboard Hot 100 (plus number 21 in the Adult Contemporary chart) and number 4 in Italy.
Billboard wrote about the song: "First single from group's label debut, "Stars," maintains the Brit-eyed soul of previous hits. Frontman Mick Hucknall turns in an unusually restrained vocal, which adds depth and maturity to an already potent track."
The Gavin Report wrote: "Red hot from the moment they reached America's shores, the Mick Hucknall-led Simply Red outfit forged an intensely loyal following. Reminiscent of their 1986 hit, "Money's (Too Tight Too Mention)," this uptempo groove is too strong to ignore."
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2015)
In 2005, "Something Got Me Started" was one of the eight previously released Simply Red songs re-recorded for the album Simplified. It also became the second single release from the album, as a double A-side with a new cover of the Leon Russell song "A Song for You". This made it the only Simply Red song to date to be released as a single twice.
Formats and track listings
Credits adapted from original album liner notes.
- Mick Hucknall – lead and background vocals
- Fritz McIntyre – keyboards, additional vocals
- Tim Kellett – keyboards
- Heitor T P – guitars
- Ian Kirkham – saxophone
- Gota – drums, percussion and programming
- Shaun Ward – bass guitar
- Jess Bailey – keyboard programming
End of year charts
- "Billboard: Single Reviews" (PDF). Billboard magazine (21 September 1991, page 77). Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- Sholin, Dave (6 September 1991). "Gavin Picks > Singles" (PDF). Gavin Report. No. 1872. p. 76. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "New Releases: Singles" (PDF). Music & Media (21 September 1991, page 18). Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- Garcia, Alex S. "mvdbase.com - Simply Red - "Something got me started"". Music Video DataBase. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Something Got Me Started", in various Singles Chart Lescharts.com (Retrieved 18 February 2008)
- "Top 10 Denmark" (PDF). Music & Media. Retrieved 22 March 2018.
- "Eurochart Hot 100 Singles" (PDF). Music & Media. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- German Singles Chart Charts-surfer.de (Retrieved 14 September 2008)
- "Top 10 Greece" (PDF). Music & Media. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved 18 February 2008)
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Simply Red" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Simply Red – Something Got Me Started" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- UK Singles Chart Chartstats.com (Retrieved 14 September 2008)
- Billboard Allmusic.com (Retrieved 14 September 2008)
- "RPM 100 Hit Tracks of 1991". RPM. Retrieved November 23, 2017.
- "Single top 100 over 1991" (pdf) (in Dutch). Top40. Retrieved 13 April 2010.