Something He Can Feel
|"Something He Can Feel"|
One of A-side labels of the U.S. vinyl single
|Single by Aretha Franklin|
|from the album Music from the Warner Bros. Picture "Sparkle"|
|Released||May 5, 1976|
|Aretha Franklin singles chronology|
"Something He Can Feel" is a song composed by Curtis Mayfield for the 1976 motion picture Sparkle. The song, a love ballad in a Chicago-/Philly-soul style, became a number-one hit on the Billboard's R&B singles chart in the United States twice with two separate recordings: a 1976 version by Aretha Franklin from the film's soundtrack (see 1976 in music), and a 1992 cover by girl group En Vogue (see 1992 in music).
Aretha Franklin version
The version of "Something He Can Feel" present on the film's soundtrack album replaces the vocal tracks with those of Aretha Franklin and the Kitty Haywood Singers, with the instrumental tracks remaining the same. Sparkle revolves around the lives of the members of Sister & the Sisters, a 1960s Motown-esque girl group, and "Something He Can Feel" is present in the film as part of their repertoire. Franklin's recording of the song was issued as the first single from the album, and became a number-one hit on Billboard's Hot Soul Singles chart, peaking at number twenty-eight on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Aretha's only pop Top 40 hit during the second half of the 1970s.
Sparkle would be remade in 2012, as would "Something He Can Feel", this time performed by Carmen Ejogo on lead vocal with Jordin Sparks and Tika Sumpter on backing vocals. In an allusion to Aretha Franklin's version of the song and soundtrack, Sister & Her Sisters perform "Something He Can Feel" as part of a live TV performance headlined by Franklin.
|Billboard Hot 100||28|
|Billboard Hot Soul Singles||1|
Afrika Bambaataa feat. Boy George version
In 1988, a rap and Hip Hop artist, Afrika Bambaataa recorded a cover version of "Something He Can Feel". The cover, released on the album, The Light, a collaboration album with lead vocals on this song by Boy George.
En Vogue version
|"Giving Him Something He Can Feel"|
|Single by En Vogue|
|from the album Funky Divas|
|Released||June 11, 1992 (US)|
|Format||CD single, Cassette single|
|Recorded||Fall 1991—January 1992|
|Producer(s)||Thomas McElroy & Denzil Foster|
|En Vogue singles chronology|
Fifteen years after Sparkle was released, R&B group En Vogue recorded a cover version of "Something He Can Feel" (titled as "Giving Him Something He Can Feel"), produced by Thomas McElroy & Denzil Foster. The En Vogue cover, released as the second single from the group's second album, Funky Divas, was also a successful hit, with lead vocals by Dawn Robinson.
The single peaked at number six on the Billboard Hot 100, and became the fifth En Vogue single in two years to peak at number one on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks chart. In the UK, it was released as a Double A-side single with "Free Your Mind" and reached the top twenty. This song is led entirely by Dawn Robinson and background vocals lead by Terry Ellis, Cindy Herron, and Maxine Jones.
Nichole Cordova performed the En Vogue's version of "Something He Can Feel" on the season finale of Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious where she became the first member of Girlicious. She received high praise from the judges.
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 216.
- "En Vogue - Giving Him Something He Can Feel - Amazon.com Music". Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- "Don't think I can make it. By Denzil Foster, Thomas McElroy, Will Townsend, Pharoah Davis, Warren Robinson & Andre Zachary". Faqs.org. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 189.
- "Pussycat Dolls Present Girlicious: Season Finale "You Are Girlicious" Recap". Buddy TV. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988-2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – En Vogue – Giving Him Something He Can Feel". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- "Chart Track: Week 46, 1992". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved February 11, 2018.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – En Vogue – Giving Him Something He Can Feel" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- "Charts.org.nz – En Vogue – Giving Him Something He Can Feel". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- "En Vogue Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- "En Vogue Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- "End of Year Charts 1992". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1992". Retrieved 2010-07-30.
- "R&B/Hip-Hop Songs – Year-End 1992". Billboard. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- "American single certifications – En Vogue – Giving Him Something He Can Feel". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH