Something Is Not Right with Me
|"Something Is Not Right with Me"|
|Single by Cold War Kids|
|from the album Loyalty to Loyalty|
|B-side||"Bullies Always Win"|
|Released||September 1, 2008iTunes)(|
|Format||Digital download, CD, 7"|
|Genre||Indie rock, blues rock|
|Songwriter(s)||Cold War Kids|
|Producer(s)||Kevin Augunas, Cold War Kids|
|Cold War Kids singles chronology|
"Something Is Not Right with Me" is a song by American indie rock band Cold War Kids. It serves as the fourth track and debut single off their second album Loyalty to Loyalty (2008). The song was released online on July 2008 by the band on their Myspace page. It was given an official release on September 1, 2008 on iTunes. Lyrically, it describes a person facing a dilemma about living in a world that's constantly changing.
"Something Is Not Right with Me" received a mixed response from critics. It peaked at number 39 on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart and was voted number 38 in the Triple J Hottest 100 in 2008, their third song to appear on that chart since 2007's "Hang Me Up to Dry" and "Hospital Beds". A music video for the single was directed by Sophie Muller that features the band in an abandoned warehouse space.
"Something Is Not Right with Me" was described by lead singer Nathan Willett as an upbeat track that's about a person losing touch with the revolving world and its constant changes from people to technology. James McMahon of NME described the song's rhythm as being "akin to Lodger-era Bowie."
The song garnered mixed reviews from critics. Joseph Coscarelli of Spin did a stream review and praised the band for its use of "a step-worthy, pounding bass line" and "Stones-styled bluesy licks". Judy Coleman of The Boston Globe found the song to be "infectiously manic". Despite finding milquetoast tracks on the album, The Guardian said that the song rose "above the general air of torpor". Chris Mincher of The A.V. Club was critical about the track, finding fault in Nathan Willett's voice going from "a mere Jack White-style wail to screechy barking" but overall found it to be "an otherwise fine tune".
The video features the band playing in an abandoned warehouse space in which they do random stuff that follows the song's title. The video was directed by Sophie Muller and was uploaded on the band's YouTube page on September 17, 2008.
Cold War Kids performed the song on Jimmy Kimmel Live! on September 19, 2008, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on October 28, 2008, and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on November 13, 2008.
Use in popular culture
- The song was featured in the season 5 episode "Fire Sale" of the HBO series Entourage.
- The song was featured in the 2009 film Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant.
Formats and track listing
- Europe CD
- "Something Is Not Right with Me" – 2:29
- Europe 7" Vinyl
- "Something Is Not Right with Me" – 2:22
- "Bullies Always Win" – 3:11
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||39|
- "Something Is Not Right With Me – EP by Cold War Kids". iTunes (GB). Apple. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Nme Video: Cold War Kids – Track by Track". NME. IPC Media. Retrieved April 20, 2014.
- McMahon, James (September 17, 2008). "Album Review: Cold War Kids – Loyalty to Loyalty (V2)". NME. IPC Media. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- Coscarelli, Joseph (July 24, 2008). "New Cold War Kids MP3: "Something Is Not Right With Me" Review". Spin. SpinMedia. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Coleman, Judy (September 23, 2008). "The Kids are all right". The Boston Globe. Boston.com. Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- "CD: Cold War Kids, Loyalty to Loyalty". The Guardian. London: Guardian Media Group. September 19, 2008. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Mincher, Chris (September 29, 2008). "Cold War Kids: Loyalty to Loyalty review". The A.V. Club. The Onion. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Hottest 100 2008". Triple J. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Episode 129". Jimmy Kimmel Live!. September 19, 2008. ABC.
- "On TV: Cold War Kids, Fall Out Boy, The Damned". Rockdirt.com. October 26, 2008. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- "Episode 51". The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. November 13, 2008. CBS.
- "Entourage: S5 Ep.58 Fire Sale - Music". HBO. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Cold War Kids - Something Is Not Right With Me (CD)". Discogs. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Cold War Kids - Something Is Not Right With Me (Vinyl)". Discogs. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Cold War Kids Chart History (Alternative Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved November 12, 2013.