Something New (album)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2007)|
|Studio album by The Beatles|
|Released||20 July 1964|
|Recorded||29 January, 25–27 February,
1 March and 1–4 June 1964
|Studio||EMI Studios, London|
|Genre||Rock and roll|
|The Beatles North American chronology|
|Singles from Something New|
|The Rolling Stone Record Guide|||
Something New is The Beatles (issued, 20th July 1964) third Capitol LP release - in addition - being the fifth American album for the four piece (following the United Artists release of A Hard Day's Night). This 1964 US release includes eight songs from the original British release of A Hard Day's Night, as well as the remaining tracks "Slow Down" and "Matchbox" from the Long Tall Sally EP and the German-language version of "I Want to Hold Your Hand".
The album was released in both mono and stereo versions, and of which all mono mixes of the five songs duplicated from the United Artists soundtrack album are the same. Something New was the only early Capitol Beatles album to contain all tracks in true stereo. The mono release contains alternative versions of "Any Time At All" (a different mix during the instrumental bridge), "I'll Cry Instead" (with the "missing" third verse), "When I Get Home" (the line "Till I walk out that door again" during the song's bridge has a different vocal passage from the UK mono mix), "If I Fell" (Lennon's non-double-tracked introductory vocal), and "And I Love Her" (McCartney's non-double-tracked vocal).
The album spent nine weeks at No. 2 on the Billboard 200, behind the United Artists A Hard Day's Night album.
This album was also released on the Parlophone label for sale only on American Armed Forces bases in Europe. These copies have great collector value. The album was also issued in Germany on the Odeon label. The German stereo version contains a reprocessed stereo version of "Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand" and an extended version of "And I Love Her", repeating the closing riff six times instead of four. This mix was later released on the US version of Rarities.
In 2004, Something New was released for the first time on CD as part of The Capitol Albums, Volume 1 box set (catalogue number CDP 7243 8 66876 2 3). In 2014, the album was released on CD again, both individually, and included in the boxed set The US Albums.
- Side one
- "I'll Cry Instead – 2:09 (mono version) / 1:49 (stereo version)
- "Things We Said Today" – 2:39
- "Any Time at All" – 2:13
- "When I Get Home" – 2:18
- "Slow Down" (Larry Williams) – 2:55
- "Matchbox" (Carl Perkins) – 1:58
- Side two
- "Tell Me Why" – 2:10
- "And I Love Her" – 2:32
- "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You" – 1:58
- "If I Fell" – 2:22
- "Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand" (Lennon–McCartney/Nicolas/Heller) – 2:19
Charts and certifications
In the U.S., the album sold 1,049,243 copies by December 31, 1964 and 1,443,735 copies by the end of the decade.
- Marsh, Dave; Swenson, John (Editors). The Rolling Stone Record Guide, 1st edition, Random House/Rolling Stone Press, 1979, p. 26.
- Stannard 1981, p. 133.
- ""And I Love Her" by the Beatles. The in-depth story behind the songs of the Beatles. Recording History. Songwriting History. Song Structure and Style". Beatlesebooks.com. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "How Many Records did the Beatles actually sell?". Deconstructing Pop Culture by David Kronemyer. 29 April 2009. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- Whitburn 2010, p. 63.
- "Canadian album certifications – The Beatles – Something New". Music Canada. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "American album certifications – The Beatles – Something New". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 15 September 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH