Something That We Do
|"Something That We Do"|
|Single by Clint Black|
|from the album Nothin' But the Taillights|
|Released||August 25, 1997|
|Songwriter(s)||Clint Black, Skip Ewing|
|Producer(s)||James Stroud, Clint Black|
|Clint Black singles chronology|
"Something That We Do" is a song recorded by American country music artist Clint Black and written by Black and Skip Ewing. It was released in August 1997 as the second single from Black's album Nothin' but the Taillights and peaked at number 2 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart and number 4 on the Canadian RPM Country Tracks chart. It was voted song of the year by the Nashville Songwriters Association International.
The song explores the complexities of romantic relationships and offers the simple truth that "Love isn't something that we're in/It's something that we do." It is sung in the key of G major and a slow tempo of 66 beats per minute. The guitar in the song is set to Open D tuning, with a capo on the fifth fret.
Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably, saying that the song "has a powerful and poignant poetic tone that illuminates more about the nature of love and relationships in a few minutes than several books on the subject ever could." She goes on to call the song a "sweet, moving ballad." 
The music video was directed by Black with the help of Timothy White.
"Something That We Do" debuted at number 62 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of August 30, 1997.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||3|
|US Billboard Hot 100||67|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||89|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||75|
- Nashville Songwriters Association International website Archived 2011-07-14 at the Wayback Machine
- "'Something That We Do' sheet music". Musicnotes.com. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- Billboard, September 27, 1997
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 3413." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. December 15, 1997. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "Clint Black Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Clint Black Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1997". RPM. December 15, 1997. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "Best of 1997: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1997. Retrieved July 17, 2013.