Sometimes When We Touch
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Sometimes When We Touch"|
|Single by Dan Hill|
|from the album Longer Fuse|
|B-side||"Still Not Used To"|
|Released||4 February 1978|
4:05 (Album Version)|
3:31 (Single Edit)
|Label||GRT TU 2750/20th Century Fox|
Dan Hill (lyrics)|
Barry Mann (music)
|Producer(s)||Matthew McCauley, Fred Mollin|
"Sometimes When We Touch" is a 1977 ballad written by Dan Hill (lyrics) and Barry Mann (music) on the album Longer Fuse, but was also released as a single in 1978. It was Hill's biggest hit, peaking at #3 on the United States Billboard Hot 100 and #10 on the Adult Contemporary chart. Musicians included Bobby Ogdin (piano), Larrie Londin (drums), Bob Mann (guitar), Don Potter (guitar), Tom Szczesniak (bass). The record was produced by Fred Mollin and Matthew McCauley, recorded at Manta Sound, Toronto.
Tina Turner recorded a version for her 1978 album, Rough. An Estonian language version of the song (entitled "Puudutus") also exists. Often performed as a duet, the song has been covered by Koit Toome and Maarja-Liis Ilus among others. On Toome's acoustic greatest hits album, Allikas, the song is present as a solo piece with the tune credited to 'H. Dan'.
In 2008, Daniel Evans performed the song at his first audition on series 5 of the X Factor (UK) bringing judge Cheryl Cole to tears after he sang in memory of his wife, who died shortly after childbirth. The clip has had nearly 20 million views on YouTube. He subsequently released the song on his debut album No Easy Way in 2010.
The ska band Five Iron Frenzy also did a cover of this song as part of a "Medley" during their farewell tour in 2004. There is also a version recorded in 1980 by Cleo Laine and James Galway. Tammy Wynette covered the song in 1985 with country-pop singer Mark Gray. Their duet version peaked at No. 6 on the country singles chart in 1985. British singer Rod Stewart recorded the song for his 1996 album If We Fall in Love Tonight. Veteran British entertainer Tommy Steele recorded this on his Family Album.
Manny Pacquiao sang this song on the November 3, 2009 showing of the Jimmy Kimmel Live! show. This was Pacquiao's first guest appearance on an American late night TV talk show and his first singing performance on American TV. He would later record this song in April 2011 as a single which reached number 19 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart.
- 1978, Lynn Anderson covered the song on her album From the Inside.
- 1979, Ginette Reno covered the song in French ("Quand nos corps se touchent").
- 1979, Karel Gott recorded a Czech version "Stokrát chválím čas".
- 1979, Demis Roussos recorded and released versions in French (Tu N'as Pas Le Droit), Italian (Il Tocco Dell'Amore), Spanish (Rozando Nuestra Piel), and German (Nur Manchmal In Der Nacht). He also performed the original in English during his concert at Sydney Opera House in December 1979, released in the following year on his official Roussos Live! LP.
- 1980, Bonnie Tyler released the song on her album Goodbye to the Island.
- 1983, An instrumental version was used as the theme to sitcom Sweet Sixteen.
- 1993, A Duet with Rique Franks released this song from his compilation album Let Me Show You (Greatest Hits and More).
- 1993, A Duet with Tammy Wynette and Michael Ball performed on his television show.
- 1996, Barry Manilow covered the song for his compilation album, Summer of '78.
- 1996, Rod Stewart covered the song in his album If We Fall in Love Tonight.
- 2000, Engelbert Humperdinck recorded it on his album Engelbert at his very best.
- 2000, Barry Mann made his own version of the song on his solo album "Soul & Inspiration".
- 2004, Five Iron Frenzy included a portion of the song during a medley on their live album The End Is Here.
- 2007, Donny Osmond released a cover of this song on his solo studio album, Love Songs of the '70s.
- 2007, Ara Muna recorded it in Tagalog version with Kapampangan lyrics under the title "O 'Jo Kaluguran Da Ka" ("Oh My Love, I Love You").
- 2008, Olivia Ong covered the song in her album Best of Olivia.
- 2010, Daniel Evans covered the song on his album No Easy Way.
- 2011, Manny Pacquiao released the song as a single with Dan Hill.
"När vi rör varann"
There is a Swedish version of the lyrics, called "När vi rör varann" ("When We Touch Each Other"), written by Ingela "Pling" Forsman and recorded by Kikki Danielsson in 1980 and Susanne Alfvengren in 1984. "När vi rör varann" has become the signature song for Susanne Alfvengren. The Monica Silverstrand version reached the Svensktoppen from 24 February-2 March 1980, peaking at number 6.
Chinese lyrics were written for Barry Mann's music by Beijing-based director Chen Peng for his gay relationship series Like Love (2014) and Nobody Knows But Me (2015). A music video of this version was released in 2014, and another music video was released in 2015 with the words sung by Chen Peng and the actors Kong Chuinan, Huang Lige, Liu Mei Lu, Dong Yufeng and Ma Yu.
The song has been used in numerous films, television programs and commercials since its initial release. Among the more notable usages are the 1999 film, Superstar, a 2003 GEICO commercial, the 2008 film, Tropic Thunder, and the Simpsons episode, The Yellow Badge of Cowardge, in May 2014. Despite the track's chart success and enduring cultural influence, it was placed #40 on the list of AOL Radio's 100 Worst Songs Ever.
- "The 10 Ickiest Soft-Rock Hits of the '70s - Oldies Music". Oldies.about.com. 2014-04-03. Retrieved 2014-05-22.
- "VH1's 40 Most Softsational Soft-Rock Songs". Stereogum. SpinMedia. May 31, 2007. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 115.
- Video on YouTube
- Video on YouTube
- Video on YouTube
- Video on YouTube
- Wilkening, Matthew (September 11, 2010). "100 Worst Songs Ever -- Part Four of Five". AOL Radio. Retrieved December 23, 2010.
- "Forum - 1970 (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". Australian-charts.com. Archived from the original on 2016-06-02. Retrieved 2016-12-16.
- "Sometimes When We Touch". Charts NZ. 1978. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "Forum - 1970 (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". Australian-charts.com. Archived from the original on 2016-12-04. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
- Pop Culture Madness website, http://www.popculturemadness.com/Music/WORST.html
- "You'll never guess what Dan Hill thinks of his own song" by Dan Hill, Maclean's Magazine, January 14, 2010, http://www.macleans.ca/culture/sometimes-its-too-much/