Sometimes a Fantasy
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Sometimes a Fantasy"|
|Single by Billy Joel|
|from the album Glass Houses|
|B-side||"All for Leyna"|
3:40 (Album version)
|Billy Joel singles chronology|
The song starts with Joel dialing a number on a telephone (which he is depicted doing on the single cover). The lyrics are about a sexually frustrated man who tries to convince his significant other to have phone sex. He explains that he is lonely since they are far away from each other (which is implied by the fact that his phone call is "long distance").
The video starts with Joel in bed, dialing a woman's number. She then picks up the phone and the music starts playing. While on the phone, Joel sings the song's lyrics to her throughout the video. Then, in the end, it turns out the entire call was just a fantasy, and no one picked up.
The single version of "Sometimes A Fantasy" released in the United States and Canada has a running time of 4:19, making it longer than the album version, which runs at 3:40. The album's version ends with a fade out, while the single version does not, and instead includes Joel letting loose a Beatles' honoring yowl of "I got blisters on my blisters!" a reference to Ringo Starr's outburst, "I got blisters on my fingers" at the end of "Helter Skelter."
The extended version of the song was available as a US 7" vinyl, a Canadian 7" vinyl, a US promo 7" vinyl, a US DJ-promo 12" vinyl and (at 4:22) as the Japanese B-side of "All For Leyna" (available as a 7" and a 7" promo). To date, the long version is not available on any of Joel's compilation albums, re-issues, and is not available in CD or mp3 format.
The single was released in other countries as a 3:39 version, namely in Australia, the Netherlands, the UK (7" promo).
The official music video for this single uses an alternate vocal track, different from the album and single releases.
- Billy Joel - vocals, piano and synthesizers
- Dave Brown - electric guitar
- Richie Cannata - organ
- Liberty DiVitto - drums and percussion
- Russell Javors - electric guitar
- Doug Stegmeyer - bass guitar
|Canadian Singles Chart||21|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||36|
- "Billy Joel - Sometimes A Fantasy (LONG SINGLE VERSION) (1980)". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "52nd Street Serenade ♪♪: Still You're Aching For The Things You Haven't Got (1980-1982 from Glass Houses)". Billyjoel52ndstreetserenade.blogspot.co.uk. 2016-01-01. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "52nd Street Serenade ♪♪: Singles & Videos". Billyjoel52ndstreetserenade.blogspot.co.uk. 2016-01-01. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2013-08-26.