Sometimes in April
|Sometimes in April|
|Directed by||Raoul Peck|
|Produced by||Daniel Delume|
|Written by||Raoul Peck|
|Music by||Bruno Coulais|
|Edited by||Jacques Comets|
|Distributed by||HBO Films|
Sometimes in April is a 2005 historical drama television film about the Rwandan Genocide of 1994, written and directed by the Haitian filmmaker Raoul Peck. The ensemble cast includes Idris Elba, Oris Erhuero, Carole Karemera, and Debra Winger.
The story centers on two brothers: Honoré Butera, working for Radio Télévision Libre des Mille Collines, and Augustin Muganza, a captain in the Rwandan army (who was married to a Tutsi wo Yves-André, and Marcus), who bear witness to the killing of close to over a million people in 100 days while becoming divided by politics and losing some of their own family. The film depicts the attitudes and circumstances leading up to the outbreak of brutal violence, the intertwining stories of people struggling to survive the genocide, and the aftermath as the people try to find justice and reconciliation.
- Idris Elba ... Augustin Muganza
- Oris Erhuero ... Honoré Butera
- Carole Karemera ... Jeanne
- Debra Winger ... Prudence Bushnell
- Noah Emmerich ... Lionel Quaid
- Pamela Nomvete ... Martine
- Fraser James ... Xavier
- Abby Mukiibi Nkaaga ... Col. Théoneste Bagosora
In contrast to Hotel Rwanda, which was rated PG-13 and had most of the genocide violence subtly implied rather than explicitly shown, this film was noted for its more gruesome and graphic portrayal of the violence, which gave it a TV-MA rating.
- Hotel Rwanda, a 2004 film dealing with the genocide that centers on the Hôtel des Mille Collines, a location also seen in Sometimes in April.
- Shake Hands with the Devil, a 2007 film based on the book of the same name recounting General Dallaire's harrowing personal journey during the 1994 Rwandan Genocide and how the United Nations failed to heed Dallaire's urgent pleas for further assistance to halt the massacre
- Shooting Dogs, a 2005 film centered on the École Technique Officielle in Kigali
- Rwandan Genocide
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Sometimes in April|