Somos Novios (It's Impossible)
|Single by Armando Manzanero|
|from the album Su piano y su orquesta|
|Armando Manzanero singles chronology|
|Single by Perry Como|
|from the album It's Impossible|
|B-side||"Long Life, Lots of Happiness"|
|Songwriter(s)||Armando Manzanero/Sid Wayne|
|Perry Como singles chronology|
|"Somos Novios (It's Impossible)"|
|Single by Andrea Bocelli featuring Christina Aguilera|
|from the album Amore|
|Released||March 2006 (U.S.)|
|Label||Sugar Records, Opera & Blues Records, Decca Records|
|Producer(s)||David Foster and Humberto Gatica|
|Andrea Bocelli singles chronology|
|Christina Aguilera singles chronology|
"Somos Novios (It's Impossible)" is a song originally written and recorded by Mexican songwriter Armando Manzanero by 1968. The original recording by Manzanero was inducted into the Latin Grammy Hall of Fame in 2001.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The song was adapted in 1970 by Sid Wayne who wrote original English lyrics set to the music. It was first recorded by Perry Como the same year under the title "It's Impossible". The song has become one of the most popular boleros of all time. Besides Como, it has been recorded by Elvis Presley, Andy Williams, Shirley Bassey, Robert Goulet, New Birth, Jerry Vale, Dennis Brown, Andrea Bocelli and Frances Yip among others.
The Como version would be one of his most influential records, and in February 1971 it became his first song to reach the top ten of the Billboard Hot 100 in more than 12 years, peaking at #10. The song's peak on the Hot 100 chart came just weeks after concluding a four-week run at number one on the Billboard Easy Listening chart. On the UK Singles Chart, the single reached #4 in 1971.
Elvis Presley recorded "It's Impossible" on stage at the Las Vegas Hilton February 16, 1972. This version was released on his 1973 album, "Elvis."
Vikki Carr, an influential and popular Spanish-language songstress, recorded a notable version; and the YouTube video of her introducing this song in 1972 on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson is available for viewing. The Three Degrees recorded a version in Spanish in 1975 for their "International" album released on Philadelphia International Records, Sergio Franchi covered this song (in English) on his last album, Sergio Con Amore-From My Private Collection (Gold Records, 1976).
In 1976 the song was arranged by Soviet composer Georgy Firtich as the gangster song for the cartoon series Adventures of Captain Wrongel that became the most famous tune from the series. Firtich, rather than Manzanero, is still credited as the composer.
Andrea Bocelli has covered the song as a duet with Christina Aguilera, Petra Berger, Katharine McPhee, and Rimi Natsukawa in 2006. Aguilera features on Bocelli's album, Amore, while the duet with Natsukawa is a bonus track of the album's release in Japan. The duet with Natsukawa also appears as a bonus track for the Japanese version of Bocelli's The Best of Andrea Bocelli: Vivere. McPhee joined Bocelli onstage at the JCPenney Jam and their version is included on the album for the event.
Luis Miguel recorded another version on his album, Segundo Romance, which was co-produced by Manzanero. Manzanero himself recorded the song as a duet with Puerto Rican singer Olga Tañón for his 2001 album Duetos.
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||29|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||18|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||4|
|US Billboard Hot 100||10|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||1|
- "Somos novios by Armando Manzanero (Album, Bolero): Reviews, Ratings, Credits, Song list". Rate Your Music. 2014-04-30. Retrieved 2014-05-23.
- "Latin GRAMMY Hall Of Fame". Latin Grammy Award. Latin Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences. 2001. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "It's Impossible". Secondhand Songs. Missing or empty
- "Elvis Presley: Original Version Recordings of Songs He Sang". Davidneale.eu. Retrieved 2014-05-23.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 62.
- "Sergio Franchi Discography at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-05-23.
- "『AMORE』貴方に贈る愛の歌". Universal-music.co.jp. Archived from the original on 2009-09-29. Retrieved 2010-01-30.
- "夏川りみ オフィシャルサイト". Rimirimi.jp. Retrieved 2010-01-30.
- "Ramon Jacinto - Romancing RJ". Discogs. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Ultratop.be – Perry Como – It's Impossible" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Perry Como – It's Impossible" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- "Perry Como: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- "Perry Como Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- "Perry Como Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved June 14, 2018.