|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|República de Nicaragua|
|Historical era||Cold War|
|•||Nicaraguan presidential election, 1936||January 1, 1937|
|•||Disestablished||July 17, 1979|
Anastasio Somoza Garcia was the first president who won the presidential election and took over the country. Although they only held the presidency for 30 of those 43 years, they were the power behind the other presidents of the time through their control of the National Guard. Their regime was overthrown by the Sandinista National Liberation Front during the Nicaraguan Revolution.
Three of the Somozas served as President of Nicaragua. They were:
- Anastasio Somoza García (1896–1956; ruled 1937–1947, 1950–1956), the father.
- Luis Somoza Debayle (1922–1967, ruled 1956–1963), his legitimate eldest son.
- Anastasio Somoza Debayle (1925–1980, ruled 1967–1972, 1974–1979), his second legitimate son.
Other members of the Somoza family include:
- Lillian Somoza Debayle
- Hope Portocarrero, wife of Anastasio Somoza Debayle
- Anastasio Somoza Portocarrero, son of Anastasio Somoza Debayle
- Bernabé Somoza, a 19th-century rebel
|This history article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|