May 24, 1941
Amphoe Phra Pradaeng,
Samut Prakan Province, Thailand
|Residence||99/9 Moo 8, Soi Rong-tai, Phaholyothin Road Km.52, Tambon Chiang Rak Noi, Amphoe Bang Pa-in, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province, Thailand|
|Other names||Sompote Sands|
|Education||Krungthep Technical College (now Rajamangala University of Technology Krungthep)|
|Occupation||Filmmaker, special effects creator|
|Relatives||Churat Saengduenchai (elder brother)|
Sompote Tako (son)
Peerasit Saengduenchai (son)
Sompote Saengduenchai (Thai: สมโพธิ แสงเดือนฉาย; RTGS: Somphot Saengdueanchai; born May 24, 1941 in Amphoe Phra Pradaeng, Samut Prakan Province), better known as Sompote Sands, is a Thai film director, special effects creator and producer best known for directing several Thai films especially tokusatsu (special effects-based) genre or monster films such as The 6 Ultra Brothers vs. the Monster Army, Hanuman and the Five Riders, the 1980 cult classic Crocodile, Phra Rod Meree and the 1985 children's film Magic Lizard.
Biography & career
He was born in a Thai Chinese family. His father was a Chinese immigrant from Guangdong. Sompote have dream to filmmaker as a child, at the age of seven years old, he left his family to live in the temple (Wat) as a temple boy (Dek Wat) for follow his dreams. He started learning film production from being an employee in a photo studio first. While he was studying at grade three, he became a freelance photographer, his work was to take photos of King Bhumibol in boy scout uniform. This photo was published on the cover of Chaiyaphruek, which is a popular youth magazine at that time. In addition, he is also a private photographer for Jim Thompson as well. Later, at the age of 15 years, he was a photographer for Siam Rath, a newspaper with M.R. Kukrit Pramoj is the owner and editor, he is considered an youngest personnel.
In 1996, Sompote Sands presented Tsuburaya Productions a document claiming that he had ownership over the international rights of Ultraman, the Ultra Series before 1974, and Jumborg Ace. These are all the properties used by Sands to direct the films The 6 Ultra Brothers vs. the Monster Army and Jumborg Ace & Giant. He claimed they were turned over to him a whole twenty years beforehand in 1976 by the patriarch of the Tsuburaya brand, Noboru Tsuburaya, who died the year before. In November 20, 2017 a Los Angeles Federal Court ruled that he doesn't have ownership to the brand after the 1976 document in question was classified by a jury as not authentic. The final judgement on April 18, 2018 forbids him and his companies to use the Ultra Franchise and all of its related characters, forcing him and the company to pay infringement damages.
- Tah Tien (1973)
- Jumborg Ace & Giant (Yuk Wud Jaeng Vs. Jumbo A) (1974)
- The 6 Ultra Brothers vs. the Monster Army (Hanuman pob Jed Yodmanud) (1974)
- Hanuman and the Five Riders (Hanuman pob Har Aimoddaeng) (1974) (A controversial production that was made without the consent of the creators of the Kamen Rider series.)
- Yod Manut Computer (1977)
- Land of Grief (Pandin Wippayoke) (1978)
- Ka Ki (1980)
- Crocodile (Chorakhe) (1980)
- Kraithong (1980)
- Phra Rod Meree (1981)
- Khun Chang Khun Phaen: Prab Chorakhe Tan Kwand (1982)
- Phra Chao Suea Panthai-Norasing (1982)
- Noble War (Suek Kumphakan) (1984)
- Space Warriors 2000 (Hanuman pop Sib-et Yodmanud) (1984)
- Kraithong II (1985)
- Magic Lizard (King-ka kay-a-sit) (1985)
Television films/ Series
- Kraithong (1972) Channel 7
- Phra Aphai Mani (1973) Channel 3
- Yai Ka Ta
- Long Prai
- Project Ultraman (suspended broadcast due to court judgment)
- "เผยโฉม 'ยอดมนุษย์' ผู้ปราบมาร อภิบาลคนดี". ASTV Manager (in Thai). 2006-11-10. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_U5FF50K9M Thai: ภาษาไทย
- "Crocodile (1981)". Horror Movie A Day. June 10, 2008.
- Dixon, Ninja (22 July 2011). "Ninja Dixon: Magic Lizard (1985)".
- "มหากาพย์อุลตร้าแมน ศึกยอดมนุษย์ของ "สมโพธิ แสงเดือนฉาย"". ASTV Manager (in Thai). 2009-04-20. Retrieved 2017-06-10.
- "THE FINAL CHAIYO VERDICT: TSUBURAYA WINS! Mr. Sampote's Most Bitter Tea Has Gone Cold". 24 April 2018.
- "News Flash: Jury Rules in Favor of Tsuburaya Pro in Ultraman Rights Lawsuit". 21 November 2017.
- "Notice of Winning Judgment In U.S. Lawsuit Regarding "Ultraman" Rights". Tsuburaya Productions Co., Ltd - ULTRAMAN Series.