Son of a Son of a Sailor
|Son of a Son of a Sailor|
|Studio album by Jimmy Buffett|
|Released||March 17, 1978|
|Genre||Rock, Gulf and Western|
AA-1046 (U.S., 12")
|Jimmy Buffett chronology|
|Rolling Stone||(mixed) |
|The Village Voice||B|
Son of a Son of a Sailor is the eighth studio album by American popular music singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett. It was initially released in March 1978 as ABC Dunhill AA-1046 and later rereleased on its successor label, MCA.
Three singles from the album charted including "Cheeseburger in Paradise" (#32 on the Billboard Hot 100), "Livingston Saturday Night" (#52 Hot 100; #91 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart), and "Mañana" (#84 Country).
Two of the songs on Son of a Son of a Sailor are written by Keith Sykes and the remainder are written by Buffett. "Cheeseburger in Paradise" from the album appears on all of Buffett's major greatest hits collections and is a perennial concert favorite, one of "The Big 8"[clarification needed] that he has played at almost every concert and which is the namesake of the Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant chain. "Livingston Saturday Night" is a remake of a significantly different version Buffett recorded for the 1975 Rancho Deluxe soundtrack with a number of lyrical changes (e.g., "fifteen may get you twenty" was "sixteen may get you twenty"). The Son of a Son of a Sailor version of the song also appeared on the soundtrack to the 1978 movie FM that featured a cameo appearance by Buffett. The album also includes the fan favorites "Son of a Son of a Sailor", "Cowboy in the Jungle", and "Mañana".
Perennial concert favorite and the first single from Son of a Son of a Sailor
Problems playing this file? See media help.
All songs written by Jimmy Buffett, except where noted.
- "Son of a Son of a Sailor" – 3:23
- "Fool Button" – 2:47
- "The Last Line" (Keith Sykes) – 3:38
- "Livingston Saturday Night" – 3:09
- "Cheeseburger in Paradise" – 2:51
- "Coast of Marseilles" (Keith Sykes) – 5:02
- "Cowboy in the Jungle" – 5:06
- "Mañana" – 4:00
- "African Friend" – 4:21
The Coral Reefer Band:
- Jimmy Buffett - acoustic guitar, vocals
- Mike Utley - keyboards
- Kenneth Buttrey - drums, percussion
- Greg "Fingers" Taylor - harmonica
- Steve Goodman - guitar
- Tim Krekel - guitar
- Harry Dailey - bass
- Norbert Putnam - bass, kalimba
- Jay Spell - keyboards
- Harvey Thompson - saxophone
- Farrell Morris - percussion
- Billy Puett - recorder, bass flute
- The Sid Sharp Strings - strings
- Deborah McColl, Ginger Holladay, Janie Fricke, Larry Lee, Lea Jane Berinati, Penny Nichols - background vocals
- "Cheeseburger in Paradise" b/w "African Friend" (Released on ABC Dunhill 12358 in March 1978)
- "Livingston Saturday Night" b/w "Cowboy In The Jungle" (Released on ABC Dunhill 12391 in July 1978)
- "Mañana" b/w "Coast of Marseilles" (Released on ABC Dunhill 12428 in November 1978)
- Christgau, Robert (June 26, 1978). "Christgau's Consumer Guide". The Village Voice. New York. Retrieved September 19, 2015.