This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Total||169.14 km2 (65.31 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|• Density||1,900/km2 (5,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BST (UTC+6)|
Sonaimuri (সোনাইমুড়ী) is a newly established upazila or sub-district in Noakhali District, Bangladesh. It consists of ten union councils or parishads - Ambarnagar, Amisha Para, Bazra, Deoti, Jayag, Nadana, Nateshwar,Sonaimuri, Sonapur and Baragaon. Sonaimuri was declared as an upazila in response to a popular demand in 2005. The area of Sonaimuri is 169.14 km² while its population is 327,194. People in this upazila is generally solvent and engaged in business and agriculture.
Points of interest
- Bajra Shahi Mosque, built in 1741-42, is the area's most important historical monument and is on the government Department of Archaeology's list of protected sites. Rectangular in plan, it has three domes, the middle one larger than those on either side, and octagonal towers at the four corners. Decorated between 1911 and 1928, it is covered in mosaics made from colored shards of ceramic.
- Joyag: During Mahatma Gandh's visit to some parts of Noakhali in January 1947, Hemanta Kumar Ghosh, a local zamindar, donated his property for setting up the Ambika-Kaliganga Charitable Trust, which later on became famous as Gandhi Ashram. Every morning and evening, people gather for a prayer meeting in a room which still contains mementos of Gandhi's visit here in January 1947.
Sonaimuri High School is the most renowned academic institution of this upazila. It played an important role in spreading education among all strata of the society from British days. Students of this school in the past played a pioneering role in our liberation struggle. Other important schools include Sonapur Ali Akber High school, Mahbubennesa Girls' High School, Bajra High School, Kalikapur High School, Rubirhat Banghabondhu High School, Nandia Para High School, Vir Srasto Ruhul Amin Academy, Jaiag High School, Nodona High School, Sonaimuri Girls School and Sonaimuri Hamedia alia (kamil) Madrassah. Sonaimuri College ,Abirpara High School, Amishapara M.k High School, Amishapara KR University and Amishapara K.R Kamil madrasha are playing a very important role in promoting higher education in this upazila.
- Kamrul Ahsan, Secretary to the Government, a career diplomat and former Bangladesh High Commissioner to Canada and Singapore.
- Mohammad Ruhul Amin, an engine room artificer in the Bangladesh Navy who was posthumously awarded the nation's highest bravery award for his service during the Bangladesh Liberation War, was born in a village in Sonaimuri Upazila, erstwhile Begumganj Thana.
- Atikur Rahman (2012), "Sonaimuri Upazila", in Sirajul Islam and Ahmed A. Jamal, Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.), Asiatic Society of Bangladesh
- "600 SIs for separate probe unit soon". The Daily Star. UNB. 30 January 2005. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- Newton, Alex; Wagenhauser, Betsy; Murray, Jon (1996). Bangladesh: A Lonely Planet Travel Survival Kit. Lonely Planet Publications. p. 247. ISBN 978-0-86442-296-5.
- "বজরা শাহী মসজিদ, নোয়াখালী" [Bajra Shahi Mosque, Noakhali]. Department of Archaeology (Bangladesh) (in Bengali).
- Bari, MA (2012). "Bajra Shahi Mosque". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "New Arrivals – Winter 2013". diplomatonline.com. Retrieved 28 September 2015.