In 2003, almost one and half months prior to the incident, three alleged assailants - Tapas Mitra, and his two friends Sanjay Paswan and Bhrahmadev Hajra - told her that she was a Ghamandi (arrogant) person, and they would teach her a lesson. Her father later complained to the families of the three men. On 22 April, when she was asleep on the roof of her house, she was attacked with acid and left with a burnt face and other severe injuries. Her sister was also injured in the incident.
The perpetrators were sentenced to nine years in jail, but were granted bail when they appealed to the High Court. Mukherjee's family approached the court and various other authorities for justice, including the Chief Minister of Jharkhand, multiple MPs, but she received "aashwasan (assurances) ... nothing else".
Chandidas Mukherjee, Sonali's father, later stated in an interview: "We appealed in the high court... Nothing happened. They were sent to jail, but were released soon after. Now, they are busy enjoying their lives. The law against acid attackers needs to be made tougher. Otherwise, we will have many more Sonalis".
In Feb. 2014, State Govt. of Jharkhand appointed Sonali Mukherjee as Grade III clerk in the welfare department of the Bokaro deputy commissioner's office.
Appearance in Kaun Banega Crorepati
Mukherjee drew global attention when she appealed for euthanasia. Her wish to meet Amitabh Bachchan on the sets of Kaun Banega Crorepati, season 6 was granted in 2012. Accompanied by Lara Dutta Bhupathi in the game, they won ₹2.5 million (US$35,000).
- Sonali mukherjee [ Acid attack 2003 ] Biography ~ Matpal
- "I have lost a lot: Sonali Mukherjee - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- A beautiful life melted away in an acid attack Punjab News | Breaking News | Latest Online News Archived 8 November 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Give me justice or let me die: Desperate plea of acid attack victim who was left blind and deaf by the three men who had 'sexually abused her'". Daily Mail (UK). London. 16 July 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "A beautiful life melted away in an acid attack Punjab News | Breaking News | Latest Online News". Punjabnewsline.com. 22 April 2003. Archived from the original on 8 November 2012. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- Ajanta Paul (1 November 2012). "Emotional Amitabh Bachchan lauds acid attack victim on KBC". Emirates 24/7. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- "Acid attack victim scarred for life in attack by students becomes a millionaire on India's most-watched quiz show". Daily Mail. London.
- Sonali Mukherjee – acid attack victim who became a TV millionaire – Hindustan Times Archived 30 December 2012 at the Wayback Machine.