|Elevation AMSL||146 m / 478 ft|
The aerodrome, which is spread over 25 acres, first opened in 1940.There are few scheduled flights into this airport, however in the past years, the airport was served by airlines like Kingfisher Red, Kingfisher Airlines and MDLR Airlines which discontinued services due to various reasons despite recording good loads. While MDLR ceased operations due to internal issues, Air Deccan and Kingfisher had to discontinue services in November 2009 after load restrictions were imposed due to the short length of the runway.Since Air Deccan and Kingfisher operated larger ATR 42 and ATR 72 aircraft respectively, operations became unviable. Scheduled flights will start in early 2018 under the government's UDAN scheme as Air Deccan re-launched scheduled operations to the airport.
New airport plans
Tata Steel has proposed a new airport named Tata steel International airport for the city of Jamshedpur on 600 acres in the Gamharia area. The airport is to have a 7,000 feet long runway and will be able to handle Airbus A320 aircraft .This is not possible at Sonari Airport. This plan was stuck until early 2017 but has since been revived.
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed by the AAI and the Jharkhand government on 20 February 2012 for establishing a new airport in Jamshedpur. The state government will provide land to AAI for developing the airport that will initially support ATR-72 sized aircraft with options for later expansion when air traffic increases. This is old information now no like that any government plans this plan refused.Now government finalize New airport for Jamshedpur in Dalbhumghard there old Runway during second world war so government finalize that Dalbhumghard airstrip will be become of Jamshedpur new airport.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Deccan||Kolkata  (Resumes TBA) |
|North East Shuttles||Charter: Kolkata|
- "Jamshedpur on ch-aviation". ch-aviation. Retrieved 25 December 2018.
- "UDAN for steel city". Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 25 December 2018.
- "Next round of bidding under UDAN scheme likely in three months, says Jayant Sinha". Thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 25 December 2018.
- "TATA Steel and TRIL inks JV for Jamshedpur airport". Steelguru.com. 29 June 2011. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "International airport in Gamharia stuck over land acquisition tangle". 5 April 2015. Retrieved 25 December 2018.
- Bisoee, Animesh (18 May 2017). "Steel city airport plans take wing". Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 25 December 2018.
- "Jamshedpur, Bokaro to have airports soon; Airports Authority of India signs MoU". The Economic Times. 20 February 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- "GOVT ZEROED IN ON DHALBHUMGARH FOR NEW JAMSHEDPUR AIRPORT".
- "Pact to revive WWII airport near Jamshedpur". 25 January 2019.
- "Air Deccan ordered to commence Jamshedpur Kolkata flight by february 15". indianexpress.com. 9 January 2018. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 26 December 2017. Retrieved 18 December 2017.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "DGCA team inspects Sonari aerodrome". Dailypioneer.com. Retrieved 27 December 2018.
- Airport information for VEJS at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.