Sonchus oleraceus (common sowthistle, sow thistle, smooth sow thistle, annual sow thistle, hare's colwort, hare's thistle, milky tassel, swinies) is native to Asia and Europe. The Latin name Sonchus refers to the hollow stem, while oleraceus refers to its good taste. The common name sow thistle refers to its attractiveness to swine, and the similarity of the leaf to younger thistle plants. The common name hare's thistle refers to its purported beneficial effects on hare and rabbits.
This plant is considered an invasive species in many parts of the world, where it is found mostly in disturbed areas. In Australia it is a common and widespread invasive species, with large infestations a serious problem in crops.
Nutritional analysis reveals 30 – 40 mg of vitamin C per 100g, 1.2% protein, 0.3% fat, 2.4% carbohydrate. Leaf dry weight analysis per 100g (likely to vary with growing conditions) shows: 45g Carbohydrate, 28g protein, 22g ash, 5.9g fibre, 4.5g fat; in all, providing 265 calories.
Calcium: 1500 mg
Phosphorus: 500 mg
Iron: 45.6 mg
Magnesium: 0 mg
Sodium: 0 mg
Potassium: 0 mg
Zinc: 0 mg;
A: 35 mg
Thiamine (B1): 1.5 mg
Riboflavin (B2): 5 mg
Niacin: 5 mg
B6: 0 mg
C: 60 mg
This plant can often be controlled by mowing, because it does not regrow from root fragments. Attempts at weed control by herbicide, to the neglect of other methods, may have led to proliferation of this species in some environments.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sonchus oleraceus.|
- Sonchus oleraceus at USDA PLANTS Database
- Sonchus oleraceus at Plants For A Future
- "A Modern Herbal | Sow-Thistles". Botanical.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- Sonchus oleraceus at Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants
- Sonchus oleraceus L., Asteraceae, Pacific Island Ecosystems at Risk (PIER)
- "Common sowthistle Sonchus oleraceus". Weeds Australia. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Kucai". Baidu Encyclopedia (苦菜_百度百科) (in Chinese). baike.baidu.com. Retrieved 2008-02-07.
- [dead link]
- "A Modern Herbal | Sow-Thistles". Botanical.com. Retrieved 2013-01-16.
- "Management of common sowthistle | Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry | Queensland Government". Dpi.qld.gov.au. 2012-08-16. Retrieved 2013-01-16.
- Annual Sow-thistle (Sonchus oleraceus) Photos, Drawings, Text. (Wild Plants of Winnipeg from Nature Manitoba)