This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• MLA||Dr Ramanauj Prasad (R.J.D)|
|• Member of Parliament||Rajiv Pratap Rudy|
|• Total||8.27 km2 (3.19 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,568/km2 (11,830/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bhojpuri, Hindi, (English language)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-BR|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Saran|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Sonpur|
|Planning agency||Sonpur Nagar Panchayat|
|Civic agency||Sonpur Nagar Panchayat|
Sonpur is a city & sub-division in the Indian state of Bihar, situated on the banks of the River Gandak (River Narayani) and Ganges River in the Saran district. Sonpur once famous for its longest Railway Platform also hosts world's largest Cattle Fair which starts on Kartik Poornima.
The town is located atat an altitude of 42 metres (137 ft).
The river Gandak must have been the route of the movement of Buddha and his followers from Nepal Tarai to Magadh that is why many of the stupas and similar structures, including Ashoka pillars, are found on the banks of the river. The location of Pathar ki Masjid just opposite the meeting point of the gandak, that is southern bank of the Ganges, shows the Muslim influence of trade and commerce in medieval times. The current township Patna is just the modern version of the makeshift headquarters of military establishments of old Patna city which in turn was later version of Pataliputra, the capital of Maurya Empire.
Of the ten railway stations in the world having the longest railway platforms, Sonepur being on the 8th (and 2nd longest at the time of construction) longest platform in the world at 2,415 ft (736 m). It is connected by two rivers, the Ganges and the Gandak.
Transportation and Connectivity
Sonpur is a town located in the Saran District of Bihar and is easily accessible via Railways, Roadways, Waterways.
Sonpur is nearly 3 Km from Hajipur and 25 km from Patna and 58 km from Muzaffarpur in Bihar & 60 km from Chhapra, the headquarter of Saran District. Buses, Taxis and Auto-rickshaws are easily available.
The Nearest Railway Station is Sonpur Junction railway station. It has the 8th Largest Railway Platform in the World. It has trains connecting almost every part of India. It is the divisional headquarter of the East Central Railway of the Indian Railways.
Real estate boom
The real estate land prices soared in Sonepur after the start of construction of Digha–Sonpur rail–cum–road bridge in 2002. Real estate companies like are acquiring large chunk of land and selling it by dividing those into small plots.
The Fair is held on Kartik Poornima (the full moon day) in November. It is also known as Harihar Kshetra Mela and it attracts visitors from all over Asia. Till date, it is the biggest cattle fair of Asia and stretches on from fifteen days to one month. It has its origins during ancient times. This is when Chandragupta Maurya (340 - 297 BCE) used to buy elephants and horses across the river Ganges. The Sonepur Cattle Fair once used to attract traders from places as distant as Central Asia. In 2001, the number of elephants brought to Sonpur Mela was 92, 354 elephants in 2004, while in 2016, 13 elephants made it to the fair, only for display, not for sale. In 2017, there were 3 tuskers at the fair. Sonpur Mela continues to attract foreign tourists who arrive with the motive of capturing various elements of rural settlement. Apart from the photo opportunity, elephants continue to lure most foreign tourists. Swiss cottages are set up by Bihar State Tourism Development Corporation (BSTDC) at the Sonepur fair, with facilities of Internet facility, motor boat ride in river Gandak , food at the tourist village and pre-paid taxis from Patna Airport to Sonpur fair. Disneyland park is set up during the Sonpur Mela. A 'railgram' stall is set up by Railways, where toy train is also erected for children.
2017 Sonpur Harihar Kshetra Mela will commence from 2 November and finish on 3 December. It will be for 32 days. The fair will include events like boat racing, Dangal, water surfing, Water Bath Canning.
Hariharnath Mandir (Hindi: हरिहर नाथ मंदिर) in Sonpur is also known for the famous temple of shree Hariharnath and the site of the battle of Gaj-Grah and rescue of the former by Hari During Kartik Purnima Ganga Snan or ceremonial bathing in the Ganges is held by Hindus to be unusually efficacious. On the day of full moon (Kartik Purnima) immense crowd assembles and take bath. The Mela commences on that day and lasts for more than a fortnight. The Shiva temple, Kali temple and other temples and historical religious monuments are situated here and social and economical activities are at the highest peak during the Mela period. People come here to pay their oblation to the lords and thus its importance is not within Sonpur of Bihar rather it is of India and world fame.
Education services in Sonpur is being provided by private as well as government schools and colleges.
1.Kendriya Vidyalaya is one of the notable school and is up to the senior secondary level with Science stream.
2.SPS Seminary School is one of the famous and old school in this small town which is up to 10+2. P.R.College is one of the oldest college of sonpur, providing bachelor level education (Arts, Science) affiliated to Jayprakesh University,saran.
3. Other Private schools like St. Joseph's Academy, Maxwell High school, Heritage Public School, Solanki Public School,JDS Public school etc are gaining popularity among locals.
There are many banks like Punjab National Bank, Bank of india, State bank of India, Central bank of india.
Gauttam chawk is a very famous place of Sonpur. This place was established by Alok Singh (kukku) in 1997.
- "Page 34 and Page 312 - 159.65 sq. km = 15,965 hectares" (PDF).
- "INDIA: Bihar, Cities, Towns and Outgrowth Wards". citypopulation.de. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "World Famous Sonpur Cattle Fair to begin on November 16". Biharprabha News. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "How to reach Sonpur Town?". Explore Bihar. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Trains to Sonepur, Bihar". Explore Bihar. Retrieved 4 December 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Lack of infra deters people from buying land at Sonepur".
- "Realty to broaden horizon".
- "यहां मिलेगा 15 लाख रुपए में फ्लैट, गंगा किनारे लग्जुरियस लाइफ जीने का मौका".
- "पटना से सटे सोनपुर बना रियल एस्टेट का बड़ा बाजार सस्ती प्रॉपर्टी खरीदने का मौका".
- "TCW Reality" (PDF).
- "Destinations :: Sonepur".
- "The gentle giants of Sonepur".
- "The Sonpur Cattle Fair". Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "At the centuries-old Sonepur cattle fair, animals are no longer the main attraction".
- "Tuskers bid adieu to Sonepur Mela".
- "बिहार: सोनपुर पशु मेले में अब तक सिर्फ 3 हाथी पहुंचे". Archived from the original on 7 November 2017. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- "Rustic touch of Sonepur Mela attracts foreigners".
- "Through foreign eyes, Sonepur fares better Visitors say state's cattle mela mirrors real India more than Pushkar fair does".
- "Foreign tourists line up for Sonepur fair Swiss cottages".
- "Deputy CM to inaugurate Sonepur fair today".
- "Swiss cottages at Sonepur fair a tourist delight".
- "Swiss cottages to cost more".
- "2 days on, govt stalls yet to open at Sonepur Mela".
- "अगर सोनपुर मेला घूम रहे हैं तो रेल ग्राम प्रदर्शनी जरूर देखें".
- "AGM inaugurates 'Railgram' at Sonepur fair".
- "Sonepur Mela to be a 32-day affair".
- "इस बार 32 दिनों का होगा हरिहर क्षेत्र सोनपुर मेला".
- "इस बार 32 दिनों का होगा हरिहर क्षेत्र मेला".