|• Total||2,284.89 km2 (882.20 sq mi)|
|Elevation||121 m (397 ft)|
|• Density||7.7/km2 (20/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Sonepur (Odia: ସୋନପୁର), also known as Subarnapur(Odia: ସୁବର୍ଣ୍ଣପୁର), is a town and district headquarters of Subarnapur district of Odisha. The district spreads over an area of 2284.89 km2. It is also known as Second Varanasi of India for its cluster of temples having architectural importance and tantric (sicsic) mystiques. Subarnapur is also famous for silk, handloom, prawns, terracotta etc.
As of 2001[update] India census, Sonepur town had a population of 17,535. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Sonepur has an average literacy rate of 74%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 82%, and female literacy is 65%. In Sonepur, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Sonepur College
- Maharaja High School, Sonepur
- Govt. Girls' High School, Sonepur
- Sri Aurobindo school
- St. Annes Convent School
- Biju Patnaik Women's College
- Saraswati Sishu Vidya Mandir , Sonepur
- Ideal Public School
- Sahara Trust High School
- Sukanti Academy
- Central School
- KIDS Academy
- Dayanand Play School
- kids english medium school
Temples of Sonepur
- Bhagavati Temple
- Budhi Somalai Temple
- Dadhibaban Temple
- Dasamati Temple
- Gokarneswar Temple
- Gundicha / Nrusimhanath Temple
- Jagannath Temple
- Khambeswari Temple
- Kosaleswara Temple
- Lankeswari Temple
- Narayani Temple
- Paschima Somanath Temple
- Ramachandi Temple
- Rameswar Temple
- Somaleswari Temple
- Sureswari Temple
- Subarnameru Temple
- Balaji (Hanuman) Temple
- ShreeRam (Ramsita)Temple
- Kailash Chandra Meher, Eminent Painter of India, awarded Padma Shri by Govt. of India.
- Sabyasachi Mahapatra, Film Director
- Nilamadhab Panda, Film Director
- Padma Shri Chaturbhuja Meher
Current MLA from Sonepur (SC) Assembly Constituency is Niranjan Pujari of BJD, who won the seat in State elections in 2014. Previous MLAs from this seat were Binod Patra of INC, who won the seat in 2004, Kunduru Kushal who won this seat representing BJD in 2000, representing JD in 1995 and in 1990, Achyuta Biswal of INC in 1985, Dhaneswar Kumbhar of INC(I) in 1980, and Debraj Seth of JNP in 1977.
Sonepur is part of Balangir (Lok Sabha constituency).
- "Tourism in Sonepur".
- Princely States of India
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "State Elections 2004 - Partywise Comparison for 112-Sonepur Constituency of Odisha". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- Pasayat, C. and Sudam Naik (2008), Subarnapur Darabari Sahitya (in Oriya), Bhubaneswar: Gyanajuga Publications.
- Pasayat, C. (Ed.) (2008), Paschima Odisara Lokageeta (in Oriya), Bhubaneswar: Folklore Foundation.
- Padhy, S.K. History and Culture of Sonepur Ph.D. thesis, Berhampur University, 2000 .
- Accommodation in Sonepur "HOTEL KASTURI"