|Platform(s)||iOS, Android, Windows, Facebook|
|Genre(s)||Music trivia game|
SongPop is a series of head-to-head music trivia games developed by FreshPlanet and published by Gameloft. The first title in the series was released as a free app in May 2012 and was available for iOS, Android, Windows, and Facebook. By 2015, the app had been downloaded 100 million times.
A sequel titled SongPop 2, featuring over 100,000 songs and 1,000 curated playlists, was released in July 2015 and is free-to-play with in-app purchases. A third game, SongPop 3, was released on March 18, 2021. It includes features to play live one on one in real time, join teams, listen to the full playlists with Spotify and Apple Music integration, and many advanced customizations. SongPop 1 was shut down in November 2018, due to compatibility issues with iOS 12, with users being advised to move over to SongPop 2.
FreshPlanet, the venture-backed, NYC–based startup who developed the SongPop franchise, was acquired by Gameloft in December 2018.
The game is played much like the popular TV show Name That Tune. After selecting a themed playlist, five songs are played. Players compete against each other to be the first to select the correct song title or artist from a choice of four. iTunes links are provided for each song. The faster a player guesses, the more points they get. Players can remove two songs by using song note chips.
In SongPop 2, users can play alone for the first time, competing against a computer-controlled opponent.
SongPop 1 was awarded Best Facebook Game 2012, Social Gaming People's Voice Winner 2013, and Best Online Game 2013 by the British Academy Games Awards. Soon after its release, Mark Zuckerberg posted on Facebook "Song Pop is one of the most fun Facebook games I've played in a while." Some songs may include explicit lyrics. For this reason, iTunes rates the game 12+ and it is rated 16+ by Common Sense Media.
- Dredge, Stuart (4 July 2012). "Mark Zuckerberg's favourite social music game Song Pop gets Premium iOS edition". Retrieved 21 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "SongPop - App Review". www.commonsensemedia.org. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "SongPop 2: FreshPlanet Launches Music Trivia Game on iOS". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "SongPop sequel aims to build on 100M fans of the original music trivia game". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "SongPop 1: Has been discontinued for iOS 12 Devices and PC". SongPop 2. We Love Music!. Retrieved 2021-04-02.
- "Gameloft acquires SongPop music trivia game maker FreshPlanet". VentureBeat. 2018-12-19. Retrieved 2021-04-02.
- "SongPop Shooting For The Top Of The Charts On Facebook". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- Davison, Pete (Jun 7, 2012). "Song Pop review". Inside Social Games.
- "SongPop on the App Store". App Store. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "FreshPlanet follows up its mobile song-trivia hit SongPop with a sequel". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "SongPop - FreshPlanet". freshplanet.com. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- Knowles, Jamillah. "Zuckerberg Loves Song Pop, What Better Endorsement?". The Next Web. Retrieved 2016-04-07.