Songs of Love & Loss
|Songs of Love & Loss|
|Studio album by Tina Arena|
1 December 2007 AUS
|Recorded||London and Italy in 2007|
|Tina Arena chronology|
Deluxe Edition cover
|Singles from Songs of Love & Loss|
|The Herald Sun|||
Songs of Love & Loss is the seventh studio album, and first cover album, by Australian singer and songwriter Tina Arena, released on 1 December 2007. The album was Arena's first full length English language recording in six years and her first album with EMI since her debut Strong as Steel in 1990. It peaked at No. 3 on the ARIA Top Albums Chart and was certified platinum a week after its release. "Until" was the only original song on the album. A French-language version of "Until" ("Ta vie") was featured on her next album, 7 vies. "Woman" is featured in a remixed version here. The original is from her 2001 Just Me album.
A deluxe edition of the album was released on 19 April 2008 which featured a bonus disc of songs recorded live during Arena's five-date Love & Loss Tour.
Songs of Love & Loss was nominated for Highest Selling Album at the 2008 ARIA Music Awards.
Recorded primarily in London in 2007 with the London Studio Orchestra conducted by Simon Hale, the album is made up of ten covers, one new song and a reworking of "Woman" from Arena's previous album, Just Me. The record was originally going to be entirely made up of Dusty Springfield covers but Arena decided this would be too creatively limiting so broadened the scope to include other torch songs which she felt matched the tone of the album. "To Sir With Love" was performed by Arena at a graduation Mass at St. Columba's College, Melbourne on her final day of high school so it held special meaning for her.
Arena financed the record herself as she did not have a recording contract in Australia at the time.
On 6 November 2007, Arena appeared on Dancing with the Stars and performed "To Sir With Love" followed by a brief interview with the show's host Daryl Somers. The next morning she sang "The Look of Love" on Sunrise and a day later was interviewed by Kyle & Jackie O on 2Day FM in Sydney. Arena returned to Sunrise on 14 December 2007 to perform "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" and "To Sir With Love" after which she was presented with a plaque recognising platinum sales of the album. She also guest hosted Love Song Dedications on MIX 106.5 in Sydney in place of Richard Mercer on 17 December 2007. Her playlist included 10cc's "I'm Not in Love" and "Why" by Annie Lennox amongst many of her other personal favourites.
- "The Look of Love" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) – 3:44
- "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" (Bacharach, David) – 3:44
- "So Far Away" (Carole King) – 4:13
- "To Sir With Love" (Don Black, Mark London) – 3:40
- "The Man with the Child in His Eyes" (Kate Bush) – 4:31
- "Do You Know Where You're Going To" (Gerald Goffin, Michael Masser) – 3:42
- "Love Hangover" (Marilyn McLeod, Pam Sawyer) – 4:27
- "I Only Want to Be with You" (Mike Hawker, Ivor Raymonde) – 4:04
- "The Windmills of Your Mind" (Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, Michel Legrand) – 3:46
- "Everybody Hurts" (Bill Berry, Peter Buck, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe) – 5:29
- "Woman" (Tina Arena, Trina Harmon, Tyler Hayes) – 3:53
- "Until" (Arena, Duck Blackwell, Paul Guardiani) – 4:40
The deluxe edition featured a bonus disc of songs recorded live on the Love & Loss Tour.
- "Wasn't It Good" (Arena, Heather Field, Robert Parde) – 5:10
- "You Made Me Find Myself" (Arena, Desmond Child, Ty Lacy) – 4:57
- "Les trois cloches (The Three Bells)" (Jean Villard Gilles) – 3:57
- "Now I Can Dance" (Arena, David Tyson) – 4:42
- "Sorrento Moon" (Arena, Tyson, Christopher Ward) – 5:02
- "Living a lifetime together" (Tina Arena, Francesco De Benedittis, Emanuelle Vidal De-Fonseca, Paul Manners) – 3:18
- "The look of love"
- "I only want to be with you"
- "Do you know where you're going to"
- "Et puis après" (Henri Salvador, Lydia Martinico) - 2:47
- "The windmills of your mind"
- "Every Breath You Take" (Sting) – 3:53
- "The man with the child in his eyes"
- "Everybody hurts"
- "Never Tear Us Apart" (Andrew Farriss, Michael Hutchence) - 2:51
- "Close to you" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) – 4:59
- "Nights in White Satin" (Justin Hayward) – 5:01
- "So far away"
- "Both Sides Now" (Joni Mitchell) – 5:14
- "Wouldn't It Be Good" (Nik Kershaw) – 3:52
- "Je Dis Call Me" (Debbie Harry, Giorgio Moroder) – 3:46
Charts and certifications
Songs Of Love & Loss debuted at No. 4 on the ARIA Albums Chart on 12 December 2007 with 12,280 copies sold. On its second week it sold 16,946 copies and then peaked at No. 3 in its third week with 28,473 copies sold.