Sonia Esther Lasry
February 16, 1962
Cardozo School of Law
|Occupation||Hedge fund manager|
|Known for||Co-founder of Avenue Capital Group|
|Family||Marc Lasry (brother)|
Early life and education
Sonia Gardner was born Sonia Esther Lasry to a Jewish family in Marrakech, Morocco. She immigrated with her family to the U.S. in 1966 at the age of four. Her father was a computer programmer and her mother was a schoolteacher. She was raised in West Hartford, Connecticut with her brother Marc Lasry and sister Ruth Lasry. Gardner received a B.A. with honors in Philosophy from Clark University in 1983 and a J.D. from Cardozo School of Law in 1986.
Gardner began her career as Senior Attorney of the Bankruptcy and Corporate reorganization Department at Cowen and Company. In 1989, Gardner and her brother, Marc, founded the debt brokerage firm Amroc Investments. In 1990, Gardner and her brother began a debt brokerage firm with Gardner as Senior Portfolio Manager. Gardner and her brother formed Avenue Capital Group in 1995.
In 2008, Gardner was the recipient of the 100 Women in Hedge Funds’ 2008 Industry Leadership Award. In 2010 and 2011, The Hedge Fund Journal included her in their list of the Top 50 Women in Hedge Funds. In January 2011 Gardner rang the stock market's closing bell in celebration of the tenth anniversary of “100 Women in Hedge Funds.”  In 2012, Gardner was listed in the book, The Alpha Masters: Unlocking the Genius of the World’s Top Hedge Funds. In March 2013, Business Insider included her in their list of the 25 most powerful women on Wall Street. Gardner rang the closing bell at the NYSE on August 25, 2015, on behalf of “100 Women in Hedge Funds.”  In December 2015, the 100 Women in Hedge Funds announced the election of the new Global Association Board Leadership for 2016 which includes the election of their new Chair, Sonia Gardner.
Gardner serves on the Board of Directors of 100 Women in Hedge Funds. She is also a member of the Board of Trustees of the Mount Sinai Medical Center. Gardner was previously on the board of the non-profit organization "Her Justice," which helps victims of domestic violence. She was also on the Board of Directors of the Managed Funds Association (MFA) and on its Executive Committee.
- "100 WOMEN IN HEDGE FUNDS, LIMITED". Dellam.
- Wee, Gillian (Feb 15, 2012). "Lasry Sees Europe Bankruptcy Bonanza as Bad Debts Obscure Assets". Bloomberg. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "100 Women in Hedge Funds". 100WHF Committee. Archived from the original on 18 October 2011. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- Harrison, David. "The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the £1.3 trillion hedge fund women". The Telegraph. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "Executive Profile". Bloomberg Businessweek. Bloomberg. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "The 400 Richest Americans". Forbes. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- Ahuja, Maneet. The alpha masters unlocking the genius of the world's top hedge funds. Hoboken, N.J.+: Wiley. p. 82. ISBN 9781118167571.
- Benner, Katie. "5 hedge fund stars, 5 perspectives". CNN Money. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- Alden, William. "Avenue Capital Prepares New Fund for Europe". New York Times. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "50 Leading Women in Hedge Funds" (PDF). The Hedge Fund Journal. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "100 Women in Hedge Funds Celebrates 10th Anniversary rang NYSE Closing Bell". Youtube.com. 24 January 2011. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "The 25 Most Powerful Women on Wall Street". Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Vilensky, Mike (3 September 2015). "Who Wants to Ring the Closing Bell on Stock Market's Bad Days?". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "100 Women in Hedge Funds announces 2016 new Global Association Board Leadership along with organizational changes". 100 Women in Hedge Funds. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "100 Women in Hedge Funds Association Board of Directors". Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "Advisory Board Member - Sonia E. Gardner". CNBC.
- "Her Justice Fiscal Year 2014 Annual Report" (PDF). Her Justice. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 July 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "MFA Board of Directors". Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- Wendy Diamond. "Women's Entrepreneurship Day Organization Pioneer Awards 2017 Winners". WED. Retrieved July 5, 2018.