Sonia Pressman Fuentes
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
Sonia Pressman Fuentes (born May 30, 1928) is an American author, speaker, feminist leader, and lawyer. She was born in Berlin, Germany, of Polish parents, with whom she came to the U.S. to escape the Holocaust. In the U.S., she became one of the founders of the second wave of the women’s movement. She was a co-founder of the National Organization for Women (NOW) and Federally Employed Women (FEW), and she was the first woman attorney in the Office of the General Counsel at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Fuentes is the author of a memoir, Eat First—You Don’t Know What They’ll Give You, The Adventures of an Immigrant Family and Their Feminist Daughter, which has been required reading at Cornell University and American University in Washington, D.C. Her articles on women’s rights and other subjects have been published in newspapers, magazines, and journals in the U.S. and throughout the world.
Fuentes has given talks throughout the U.S. as well as in Germany, Spain, Japan, China, the Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia, and Thailand. She has served as an “American specialist” on women’s rights for the then-U.S. Information Agency.
- This article has been excerpted from the biography on Fuentes' website.
- Fuentes, Sonia Pressman (24 November 1999). Eat First -- You Don't Know What They'll Give You: The Adventures of an Immigrant Family and Their Feminist Daughter. Xlibris. ISBN 146281462X.
- Fuentes, Sonia Pressman, Letter to the Editor, SRQ Daily, July 9, 2013
- Further reading
- Cox, Billy (23 September 2013). "Feminist returns to Belgium, site of Holocaust escape". Sarasota: HeraldTribune.com.
- "Sonia Pressman Fuentes". Maryland Women's Hall of Fame. Maryland State Archives.
- Jewish Women and the Feminist Revolution from the Jewish Women's Archive
- Papers of Sonia Pressman Fuentes,ca.1929-2009 (inclusive), 1955-2009 (bulk). Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University.