Sonny Liew (born 26 September 1974) is a Malaysian-born comic artist/illustrator based in Singapore. He is best known for his work "The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye", the first graphic novel to win the Singapore Literature Prize for fiction in 2016.
Born in Seremban, Malaysia, Liew attended school at Victoria School and Victoria Junior College in Singapore. He went on to read philosophy at Clare College in Cambridge University in UK and studied illustration at the Rhode Island School of Design in 2001. His first foray into comic illustration was with Singaporean tabloid paper The New Paper in 1995, contributing a comic strip titled Frankie and Poo. A compilation of the strips was published by Times Publishing in 1996. Shortly after his graduation from Rhode Island Liew got his first break into the American comics industry when Shelly Bond signed him on for Vertigo Comics' My Faith in Frankie together with Mike Carey and Marc Hempel.
His work has appeared in the Flight Anthologies edited by Kazu Kibuishi, and he has served as editor of the Eisner-nominated Southeast Asian comics anthology Liquid City  from Image Comics. In 2011, he was nominated for an Eisner award in the pencilling/inking category for his work on SLG and Disney's Wonderland, written by Tommy Kovac.Other titles include Marvel Comics' Sense and Sensibility adaptation, First Second Books' "The Shadow Hero" with Gene Luen Yang and DC Comics' "Doctor Fate" with Paul Levitz.
He is also the creator of Malinky Robot, a Xeric Award recipient in 2004 and winner of the “Prix de la Meilleure BD” (Comic Album of the Year) at the Utopiales International SF Festival in Nantes in 2009. He was a recipient of Singapore's Young Artist Award in 2010.
The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye
The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye was released by Epigram Books in 2015 and Pantheon Books in 2016. It charts the life and career of a fictional comic book artist, the eponymous Charlie Chan Hock Chye, and by weaving together fact and fiction, and different genres, tells the story of the formative years of Singapore's modern history and the history of comics.
Shortly before the book's release in Singapore, the National Arts Council withdrew its grant of $8,000 for the title, citing "sensitive content" and its potential to "undermine the authority and legitimacy" of the government. The comic became the best-selling local fiction title that year. The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye went on to make bestseller lists at Amazon and The New York Times when it was published in the United States, which is unprecedented for a Singaporean graphic novel. Besides winning the Singapore Literature Prize, it also won the Book of the Year accolade at the Singapore Book Awards in 2016.
List of selected works
- Doctor Fate Vol 4 #1-12, #15-16 (2015-2016, DC Comics)
Artist. With Paul Levitz (Writer).
Creator, writer, artist.
- Jim Henson's Storyteller: Witches (2015, Archaia Entertainment)
- Americatown #1 (2015, Boom! Studios)
Variant Cover Artist
- Hacktivist #1 (2015, Boom! Studios)
Variant Cover Artist
- Abigail and the Snowman #1 (2014, Boom! Studios)
Variant Cover Artist
Creator, writer, artist
- The Shadow Hero (2014, First Second Books)
Artist. With Gene Luen Yang (Writer).
- Malinky Robot: Collected Stories & Other Bits (2011, Image Comics)
- Sense and Sensibility (2010, Marvel Comics)
Artist. With Nancy Butler (Writer).
- Au Pays des Merveilles (2010, Bao)
Artist, Co-Creator. With Tommy Kovac (Writer).
- Le Tour du monde en bande dessinée vol 2 (2009, Delcourt)
- Pride and Prejudice (2009, Marvel Comics)
- Marvel Adventures Spiderman #50 (2009, Marvel Comics)
Artist. With Roger Landridge (Writer).
- Wonderland (2009, Disney Press)
- Malinky Robot (French Edition) (2009, Bao)
- Liquid City (Vol. 1, 2, 3) (2008-2014, Image Comics)
Editor, Artist, Writer
Artist, Co-Creator . With Tommy Kovac (Writer).
- Re-Gifters (2007, DC Minx)
- Malinky Robot: Bicycle (2005, Slave Labor Graphics)
- My Faith in Frankie (2004, DC Vertigo)
- Malinky Robot: Stinky Fish Blues (2002, Self-Published under Red Robot Productions)
- Marvel Universe Millennial Visions (2002, Marvel Comics)
- Frankie & Poo: What is love (Incomplete and abridged) (1996, Times Books International)
- Khouri, Andy (2008-12-26). "LIQUID CITY: Image Anthology Spotlights S.E. Asia". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- Rédaction, La (2009-11-03). "Les 10es Utopiales cherchent des Mondes Meilleurs". Wartmag. Retrieved 2009-11-23.
- Nanda, Akshita (2010-10-13). "Young and arty". Straits Times. Retrieved 2010-10-13.
- hermesauto. "Fictional graphic novel The Art Of Charlie Chan Hock Chye makes bestseller lists on Amazon and New York Times". The Straits Times. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sonny Liew.|