|Administrator of the National Institute of Food and Agriculture|
|Born||1952 (age 64–65)|
|Spouse(s)||Gita N. Ramaswamy|
|Alma mater||University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore
Early life and education
Ramaswamy attended the University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore and earned a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture in 1973 and a Master of Science (Agriculture) in agricultural entomology in 1976. He then earned his Ph.D. in Entomology from Rutgers University. He completed the executive Management Development Program from Harvard University in 2001.
From 1997 to 2006 Ramaswamy was head of the Department of Entomology at Kansas State University, where he held the title of Distinguished Professor. He was then the Associate Dean of Purdue University College of Agriculture and directed the University's agricultural research programs from 2006 to 2009.
In 2009, Ramaswamy was appointed as the Dean of the College of Agricultural Sciences at Oregon State University and Director of the Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station.
Family and personal life
Sonny Ramaswamy is married to Gita N. Ramaswamy who is director of academic programs, assessment, and accreditation at Oregon State University. Their daughter Megha Ramaswamy is an assistant professor at University of Kansas Medical Center.
- "Administrator of the National Institute of Food and Agriculture: Who Is Sonny Ramaswamy?". AllGov.com. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- "President Obama Announces Intent to Appoint Dr. Sonny Ramaswamy as Director of USDA's National Institute of Food and Agriculture". United States Department of Agriculture. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- "Introduction from the new Dean OSU: Sonny Ramaswamy". Oregon State University. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- "Director Gita N. Ramaswamy". Oregon State University. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- "Adjunct Assistant Professor Megha Ramaswamy". University of Kansas Medical Center. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sonny Ramaswamy.|