Sonpur Junction railway station
|Express train and Passenger train station|
|Location||Sonpur, Saran, Bihar
|Elevation||56 metres (184 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railway|
|Operated by||Indian Railway|
|Line(s)||Barauni–Gorakhpur, Raxaul and Jainagar lines
Muzaffarpur–Gorakhpur line (via Hajipur, Raxaul and Sitamarhi)
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Zone(s)||East Central Railway zone|
|Previous names||East Indian Railway|
|Passengers||50,000 per day|
Sonpur Junction, station code SEE, is a railway station and the headquarters of the Sonpur railway division of East Central Railway. Sonpur Junction is located in Sonpur city in Saran district in the Indian state of Bihar.
This section needs to be updated.(February 2015)
In 2011, the Sonpur Junction was given a facelift with a wider approach roads and greenery in and around the station premises at the cost of ₹20 million (US$310,000). The work on doubling of tracks on 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) tracks between Sonpur and Hajipur has been carried on since past few years and is set to be completed by the end of 2012.
In 2009, the construction of India's longest road-cum-rail bridge, the Digha–Sonpur rail–road bridge, was underway on the banks on the Ganges nearby, to connect Patna to Pahleja Ghat. The bridge was completed by end of August 2015. It is 4.55 kilometres (2.83 mi) long and therefore the longest road cum rail bridge in India and one of the longest in the world.
There are 4 platforms at Sonpur Junction. The platforms are interconnected with foot over bridges (FOB). The length of the platforms were increased in 2011 to accommodate 24-coach trains. The major facilities available are Waiting rooms, computerised reservation facility, Vehicle parking. The vehicles are allowed to enter the station premises. The station also has STD/ISD/PCO Telephone booth, toilets, tea stall and book stall. The passenger reservation system, booking counters and unreserved ticketing system are provided with air-conditioning facility.
In October 2016, Railways inaugurated a Happiness Junction at the Sonepur railway station, with an objective to provide books and several other entertainment tools to passengers waiting for trains.
Nearest Railway Stations
The distance from nearby stations are:
|S.No||Station||distance (in km)|
|6||Digha Bridge Halt (DGBH)||9|
The nearest airports to Sonpur Junction are:
- Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Airport, Patna 15 kilometres (9.3 mi)
- Gaya Airport 121 kilometres (75 mi)
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata
- "Official Website of Sonpur Division of East Central Railway". Government of India. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Sonepur station getting Rs 2-cr facelift". The Times of India. 2 April 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "India's longest rail-cum-road bridge to come up in Bihar". Hindustan Times. 12 October 2009. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Digha bridge cost likely to jump by Rs 3,000 cr". The Times of India. 3 July 2011.
- "Pataliputra station likely by 2015". The Times of India. 2 April 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "List of Locations (Irrespective of States) Where Computerized Reservation Facilities Are Available". Official website of the Indian Railways. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- "First-of-its-kind Happiness Junction at Sonepur".