Sons of Apollo
|Sons of Apollo|
|Genres||Progressive metal, hard rock|
|Labels||Inside Out Music|
|Associated acts||The Winery Dogs, PSMS|
Sons of Apollo is an American progressive metal supergroup formed in 2017 and composed of drummer Mike Portnoy, bassist Billy Sheehan, keyboardist Derek Sherinian, vocalist Jeff Scott Soto, and guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal.
Sherinian and Portnoy played together in progressive metal band Dream Theater, from which Sherinian was asked to leave in 1999 and Portnoy later left in 2010. Sheehan and Portnoy formed rock group The Winery Dogs with Sheehan's Mr. Big bandmate, Richie Kotzen. Portnoy, Sheehan, and Sherinian also worked together on a short-lived, live instrumental project with Tony MacAlpine. While touring, Sherinian asked Portnoy to join him in a full-time project. When Portnoy's schedule allowed, he agreed and suggested Soto and Bumblefoot to complete the line-up, having previously worked with Bumblefoot on Metal Allegiance and knowing Soto after his solo band opened several The Winery Dogs shows in South America. Members have insisted in multiple interviews that the supergroup is a full-time band, and not just a side project.
The name of the band was proposed by Sherinian after he scrolled through a list of suggestions by Portnoy and saw the word "Apollo" among them. It was picked due to Apollo being the god of music. But because the band suspected there could be another band called Apollo, they thought of possible variations and that's how their name was chosen.
- Jeff Scott Soto (Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Talisman, ex-Journey, ex-Yngwie Malmsteen, ex-Axel Rudi Pell) – lead vocals
- Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (Art of Anarchy, ex-Guns N' Roses) – guitar, backing vocals
- Billy Sheehan (The Winery Dogs, Mr. Big, ex-David Lee Roth) – bass
- Derek Sherinian (Black Country Communion, Planet X (on hiatus), ex-Dream Theater, ex-Alice Cooper, ex-Platypus, ex-Yngwie Malmsteen, ex-Kiss) – keyboards, synthesizers
- Mike Portnoy (The Winery Dogs, Transatlantic, Flying Colors, Neal Morse Band, ex-Dream Theater, ex-Adrenaline Mob, ex-Avenged Sevenfold, ex-Twisted Sister) – drums, backing vocals
- Psychotic Symphony (2017)
- "Signs of the Time" (2017)
- "Coming Home" (2017)
- Alive/Tengo Vida (2018)
- Everley, Dave (October 20, 2017). "Son's Of Apollo Talk Us Through Their New Album". Prog. Team Rock. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- altaf, Rodrigo (13 October 2017). "Derek Sherinian keyboardist of Sons of Apollo Interview". Lots of Muzik. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Munro, Scott (August 1, 2017). "Supergroup Sons Of Apollo announce debut album". TeamRock.com. Future Publishing. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- Alexandra, Michels (August 1, 2017). "Sons Of Apollo: "Psychotic Symphony"-Album erscheint im Oktober". Rock Hard (in German). Rock Hard Verlags- und Handels- GmbH. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- Skostas, Stephen (November 15, 2017). "A Conversation with Mike Portnoy". The Prog Mind. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- "SONS OF APOLLO Debut "Lost In Oblivion" Music Video; Psychotic Symphony Album Out Now". Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles. 20 October 2017. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Nouvelle interview avec Mike Portnoy pour SONS OF APOLLO". Loud TV (in French (text) / English (video)). October 4, 2017. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- "SONS OF APOLLO (Introduction Pt.2)". InsideOutMusicTV. YouTube. 30 August 2017. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- "SONS OF APOLLO Release 'Tengo Vida' Lyric Video". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 2018-03-28. Retrieved 2018-07-05.
|This article on a United States band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|