||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
|Born||1962 (age 52–53)
|Occupation||author, editor, professor|
Sonu Shamdasani (born 1962) is a London-based author, editor, and professor at the UCL Centre for the History of Medicine, University College London. His works are on the history of psychiatry and psychology from the mid-nineteenth century to current times.
In 2003, he founded Philemon Foundation, along with Stephen Martin, where he is the general editor. In 2009, he edited the much awaited Red Book written by Carl Jung between approximately 1914 and 1930.
He gained his BA from Bristol University in 1984, followed by an MSc in the History of Science and Medicine at University College London/Imperial College London and a Ph.D. in the History of Medicine from WIHM/UCL (1996).
In an interview with the Times of India, dated 12 December 2009, he gives this brief personal biographical note:
"I am a Sindhi, I was born in Singapore and grew up in England. I first encountered Jung when I was travelling in India in my teens, looking for a guru. The first work of his that I came across was his commentary to The Secret of the Golden Flower, which was my first introduction to psychology. I then saw the text as promising the possibility of a mediation between Eastern mysticism and Western rationality. After further study, I thought that contemporary psychology and psychotherapy was in a mess, and I wanted to figure out how it had got into this state. This led me to the studying the history of psychology".
- Cult Fictions: C. G. Jung and the Founding of Analytical Psychology (London: Routledge, 1998).
- Jung and the Making of Modern Psychology: The Dream of a Science (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003).
- Jung Stripped Bare by His Biographers, Even (London: Karnac Books, 2004).
- (With Mikkel Borch-Jacobsen) Le Dossier Freud. Enquête sur l'histoire de la psychanalyse (Paris: Les empêcheurs de penser en rond/Le Seuil, 2006).
- C. G. Jung, Seminar series, The Psychology of Kundalini Yoga, Bollingen Series, Princeton (New Jersey/London: Princeton University Press/Routledge, 1996).
- Jung, Carl Gustav, The Red Book. Liber Novus (Philemon Series & W. W. Norton & Company, 2009).
- C. G. Jung. A biography in Books, New York: W. W. Norton & Company.
- James Hillman & Sonu Shamdasani, Lament of the Dead. Psychology After Jung's Red Book, New York: W. W. Norton & Company.
- Jung, Carl Gustav, The Black Books of C.G. Jung (1913-1932) (Stiftung der Werke von C. G. Jung & W. W. Norton & Company) -- Currently scheduled for publication at a yet unannounced date.
- The Holy Grail of the Unconscious New York Times, September 16, 2009."a London-based historian named Sonu Shamdasani, who serves as the foundation’s general editor"