Sonus Quartet playing the 2010 NAMM Show
|Origin||Los Angeles, CA|
|Genres||Rock, Pop, Classical, Jazz, Film, Television|
Sonus Quartet is a Los Angeles-based string quartet whose members include Caroline Campbell (violin I), Kathleen Sloan (violin II), Neel Hammond (viola), and Vanessa Freebairn-Smith (cello). Freebairn-Smith and Hammond formed Sonus Quartet in 2003.
Sonus has composed arrangements which have been featured on John Frusciante's The Empyrean, Van Hunt's On The Jungle Floor and Martina Topley-Bird's The Blue God, as well as albums by Boyz II Men and One Eskimo. Sonus performs often in L.A., at venues such as The Bootleg Theater, Room 5, Molly Malone's, as well as Walt Disney Concert Hall. They include a variety of repertoire from original Sonus arrangements of classical pieces such as a 15th-century madrigal or a Shostakovich quartet, to popular music from The Cure or Clint Mansell’s Lux Aeterna.
- McDermott, M. (2009, June 25). Sonus Quartet plays Live at the Lounge. Easy Reader.
- Cleveland, B. (2009, April). John Frusciante. Guitar Player. pp. 30-36. Published online as "John Frusciante Collaborates with Flea Johnny Mar and Josh Klinghoffer on The Empyrean".
- Mermelstein, D. (2008, August 22). Ghent to roll out red carpet for Yared, Marianelli. Daily Variety, p. A10; Newman, M. (2009, August 13). Canary Islands fest in movie music loop. Daily Variety, p. 12
- Male, A. (2009, July 7). Clint Mansell Q&A. Mojo. "...we did this show in October last year in Belgium - Pi, Requiem, The Fountain, the Wrestler - and basically it's a string quartet called The Sonus Quartet from Los Angeles plus guitar, piano, bass, drums and keyboards, and it worked really well. This is the same band, pretty much, that recorded the Moon score, a really good band"; Sonus Quartet. (2009). Montalvo Arts Center.
- Sonus Quartet Official website
- Sonus Quartet Tours With GRAMMY® Award Winning Gnarls Barkley. (2007, March 9). Yamaha Press Release.