Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100
|Image sensor type||Exmor CMOS sensor|
|Image sensor size||1.0" type (13.2 × 8.8 mm) Exmor CMOS sensor, aspect ratio 3:2, Pixel gross: 20.9 MP (approx.), Effective picture resolution: 20.2 MP (approx.)|
|Image sensor maker||Sony|
|Maximum resolution||20.2 MP|
|Recording medium||Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo (High Speed), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card|
|Lens||Fixed lens, F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens|
|F-numbers||Focal Length (35 mm equivalent): Still 16:9 29-105mm / Still 4:3 30-108 mm / Still 3:2 28-100 mm / Still 1:1 36-127 mm / Movie 16:9 29-105 mm (Std), 33-120 mm (Active) / Movie 4:3 36–128 mm (Std), 41-146 mm (Active)|
Single-shot AF (AF-S) / Continuous AF (AF-C) / Direct Manual Focus (DMF) / Manual FocusAF Modes: Multi point AF (25 points) / Center weighted AF / Flexible spot / Flexible spot (tracking focus) / Flexible sport (face tracking)
|Frame rate||US: 60p, UK: 50p|
|Shutter||iAuto (4-1/2000) / Program Auto (1-1/2000) / Manual (Bulb, 30-1/2000) / Aperture Priority (8-1/2000) / Shutter Priority (30-1/2000)|
|Shutter speeds||10 fps at 20.2 MP|
|Video/movie recording||US: AVCHD 2.0, MP4, Video Mode: AVCHD: 28M PS (1920×1080, 60p) / 24M FX (1920×1080, 60i ) / 17M FH (1920×1080, 60i) MP4: 12M (1440×1080, 30 fps) / 3M VGA (640×480 30 fps)
UK: 1920×1080 50p Approx. 28 Mbps) (AVCHD), (1920×1080 50i Approx. 24 Mbps) (AVCHD), 1920×1080 50i Approx. 17 Mbps) (AVCHD), 1440×1080 30 fps Fine Approx. 12 Mbps) (MP4), 640×480 30 fps Approx. 3 Mbps) (VGA)
|Rear LCD monitor||3.0" (7.5 cm) (4:3) / 1,229k dots TFT LCD|
|Battery||Lithium Ion NP-BX1|
|Dimensions||4" × 2 3/8" × 1 7/16" (101.6 × 58.1 × 35.9 mm)|
|Weight||8.5 oz (240 g) with battery|
|Made in||Japan or China|
The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 is a compact point-and-shoot 20.2 mega-pixel camera, part of the Cyber-shot line of digital cameras made by Sony and announced on 6 June 2012. It has been named as the "European Advanced Compact Camera for 2012–2013" by the European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA). It has also been named one of the Best Inventions of 2012 by TIME. 
- 1" 13.2 × 8.8 mm CMOS Exmor sensor, with a 2.7× crop factor which uses the "Column-Parallel A/D Conversion Technique" to create higher detail images in very low light conditions.
- 10 fps at 20.2MP.
- Very fast auto focus in low light, for a point-and-shoot camera.
- Tilt-able pop-up flash, so light can bounced off, instead of a direct flash.
- Fast and bright variable aperture, F1.8-F4.9 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens.
- Focus peaking.
- 3.6× optical zoom Carl Zeiss T* Vario Sonnar lens (28–100 mm 35mm equivalent focal length range [10.4–37.1 mm actual focal length])
- 3" TFT LCD with 1.29 million dots, using RGBW coding with WhiteMagic
Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II
In June 2013 Sony unveiled a new version of the camera, called DSC-RX100 II (model number DSC-RX100M2). Despite small change in the name, new revision is much enhanced compared to its predecessor. Notable new features include:
- 20.2-megapixel 1" Exmor R CMOS sensor, notable for being a back-illuminated sensor
- Maximum native ISO mode expanded to 12800 (because of about 40% more light sensitivity)
- LCD display is up and down tiltable (+84°/-45°)
- Multi Interface Shoe added at the top
- Wi-Fi capabilities
- NFC wireless connectivity
- New Full HD video shooting mode (1080/24p)
Hasselblad Stellar and Stellar II
On 23 July 2013 Hasselblad announced the Stellar, a "luxury" compact digital camera based on the DSC-RX100 with wooden or carbon grip. On 1 November 2013, Hasselblad announced another three cosmetic variants of the camera, named the Stellar Special Edition. On 26 November 2014, Hasselblad announced the Stellar II based on the DSC-RX100M2.
Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
The mark-III version of the RX100, the Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III (model number DSC-RX100M3), was released in June 2014. The new camera has a new Bionz X processor (as used in the Sony Alpha 77 II), a new Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens, a 24-70mm (equivalent 35mm), f/1.8-f/2.8 for wider angle of view. Unlike its predecessor, the DSC-RX100 II, it does not have a multi-interface hotshoe, but now has a pop-up OLED electronic viewfinder (EVF). Like the Sony Alpha 7, the DSC-RX100 III has customizable functions. The viewfinder and the LCD rear screen can be set to different display. And as Pentax cameras as well as the Alpha 7 series, the DSC-RX100 III can be set manually with shutter and aperture fixed, but with Auto ISO.
|Model||RX100||RX100 II||RX100 III||RX100 IV|
|Sensor||20.2Mpx Exmor CMOS
13.2mm x 8.8mm
|20.2Mpx Exmor R BSI-CMOS
13.2mm x 8.8mm
|20.2Mpx Exmor RS
13.2mm x 8.8mm
|Lens Focal Length||10.4 - 37.1mm (Equiv. 28-100mm)||8.8 - 25.7mm (Equiv. 24-70mm)|
|Lens max Aperture||f/1.8 - 4.9||f/1.8 - 2.8|
|Shutter Speed||30 ~ 1/2000 sec||30 ~ 1/32000 sec|
|Max Continuous Shooting||10 frames/s||16 frames/s|
|Video record format||MPEG-4, AVCHD (28 Mbit/s)
|MPEG-4, AVCHD (28 Mbit/s),
XAVC S (50 Mbit/s) Full HD
|MPEG-4, AVCHD (28 Mbit/s),
XAVC S (100 Mbit/s) 4K video
|Video Sampling||Line skipping||Full-pixel readout|
|Slow Motion Video Record||No||No||No||Yes (240, 480, 960fps)|
|Professional Video edit||No||No||No||Picture Profile w/CineGamma,
|Custom minimum shutter spd.
at Auto ISO
|Flexible Spot with Lock on AF||No||No||No||Yes|
|LCD||3 inch fixed||3 inch tilting (90,40 deg.)||3 inch tilting (180,45 deg.)|
|WiFi & NFC||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|330 shots||350 shots||320 shots||280 shots|
|Dimension||102 x 58 x 36 mm||102 x 58 x 38 mm||102 x 58 x 41 mm|
|Announced||Jun 6, 2012||Jun 27, 2013||May 28, 2014||Jun 10, 2015|
- European Advanced Compact Camera 2012–2013 – Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 _ EISA – The European Imaging and Sound Association
- "Best Inventions of the Year 2012". TIME. 2012-11-01. Retrieved 2013-05-08.
- Sony Global – Technology – CMOS Sensor Exmor
- Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar T* Lens
- "Sony Adds Two New Premium Compact Cameras to Acclaimed Cyber-shot RX Line". Sony Press Room. 2013-07-23. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
- Edgar Alvarez (16 May 2014). "Meet Sony's RX100 III, a refined edition of its excellent point-and-shoot".
- Zach Honig. "Sony RX100 III review: a fantastic point-and-shoot, but it'll cost you". Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Sony DSC-RX100 III First Impression Review". Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Media related to Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 at Wikimedia Commons
- Media related to Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Mark II at Wikimedia Commons
- Sony Singapore – Cyber-shot™ DSC-RX100 – Power in your pocket (microsite – Product developers interview)
- Cyber-shot Digital Camera DSC-RX100 – Sony US
- DSC-RX100 – Sony UK
Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II:
- Cyber-shot Digital Camera RX100 II - Sony US