Sony Pictures Television
|Division of Sony Pictures|
|Founded||September 16, 2002|
|Headquarters||Culver City, California, United States|
(President of international production)
|Parent||Sony Pictures Entertainment|
Left Bank Pictures
Silver River Productions
Sony Pictures Television Inc. (SPT) is an American television production/distribution studio that operates internationally and is part of the Sony Pictures Entertainment unit of Japanese conglomerate Sony. It is based in Culver City, California.
In addition to the Sony Pictures Entertainment film library, SPT owns and distributes shows from Tandem Productions, ELP Communications, TeleVentures, Merv Griffin Enterprises, Four D Productions, Barris Industries, Barry & Enright Productions, Stewart Television, and 2waytraffic. It is a joint owner of Game Show Network with DirecTV, owns the Crackle digital service, and jointly owns the rights to most of the post-1947 Bob Hope film library with FremantleMedia.
Specific programs whose production or distribution rights are owned by SPT include classic programs like I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Gidget, The Monkees, the 1959 Dennis the Menace series, Who's the Boss?, Married... with Children, Designing Women, and Seinfeld; more recent titles such as The King of Queens, Community, Rules of Engagement, and the dramas Breaking Bad and The Blacklist; the two longest-running and highest-rated game shows in syndication: Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!; two daytime talk shows, The Dr. Oz Show and The Queen Latifah Show; the reality shows Shark Tank and The Sing-Off; and two long-running soap operas, NBC's Days of Our Lives and CBS's The Young and the Restless.
In 2009, SPT collaborated with Jeff Arnold (founder of WebMD) and Dr. Mehmet Oz on Sharecare, an online platform where users have their health and wellness-related questions answered by industry experts and such institutions as AARP, the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross, the Cleveland Clinic and Johns Hopkins University. Additional co-founders in Sharecare include Harpo Productions, Discovery Communications, and HSW International.
SPT's history goes back to 1947, when Pioneer Telefilms was founded by Ralph Cohn, whose father Jack and uncle Harry co-founded Columbia Pictures. Pioneer was bought by Columbia and renamed Screen Gems in 1948, reincorporated as Columbia Pictures Television on May 6, 1974, and merged with sister studio TriStar Television (formed in 1986 and relaunched in 1991) to form Columbia TriStar Television on February 21, 1994. The present name was given to reflect the Sony brand on September 16, 2002.
From 2005 to 2006, SPT was the distributor of MGM's TV and film library, due in part to the Sony-led consortium's purchase of MGM. In 2006, SPT joined forces with Program Partners to handle ad-sales and distribution rights to foreign television series in the U.S., mostly shows produced in Canada. The same year, SPT signed Embassy Row a 3-year deal with for new game shows, game show revivals, and scripted and non-scripted series.
In Summer 2007, SPT introduced The Minisode Network, a digital channel for MySpace airing shows from the 1960s to early 2000s from four to five minutes. In Winter 2007, The Minisode Network was also added to a few more sites like AOL TV, YouTube, and its sister site Crackle.
On March 27, 2008, SPT International acquired a minority stake in the new production company Gogglebox Entertainment, a production company founded by two former Lion Television executives, Matt Steiner and Adam Wood. On June 4, 2008, SPT bought Hilversum, Netherlands-based production company 2waytraffic, international holders of the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? franchise.
On January 14, 2009, SPT acquired Embassy Row, a television and digital production company by British television producer Michael Davies. Fourteen days later, SPTI acquired a 50% stake in Colombian independent TV production company Teleset. Three months later on April 1, Sony Pictures Entertainment consolidated its US and international television divisions into one roof. Sony Pictures Television International now operates in-name-only.
On June 23, 2011, SPT formed Victory Television, a London-based television production company jointly owned by Victoria Ashbourne, SPT's senior vice president of creative development for international production. On September 25, 2011, Andrea Wong was tapped to head the international television production division of Sony Pictures Television to oversee all international businesses for the studio.
On January 19, 2012, SPT acquired Dolphin Broadcast Services Ltd. and merged it into its existing UK networks business. SPT also took a majority stake in Dolphin’s advertising sales business. On March 1, 2012, SPT acquired a majority stake in UK independent production company Silver River Productions. On May 31, SPT will launch Sony Movie Channel and AXN in Canada in partnership with Hollywood Suite. Two of Hollywood Suite's networks: Hollywood Festival will re-launch as Sony Movie Channel and Hollywood Storm as AXN Movies on September 4, 2012. On August 23, 2012, SPT acquired a majority stake in Left Bank Pictures, a UK production company founded by Andy Harries, Francis Hopkinson, and Marigo Kehoe.
On August 22, 2013, Sony Pictures Television acquired a majority stake in Simon Andrae's new production company Scarlet Media. However, two months later, Andrae dropped his plans for Scarlet and was tapped to become executive vice-president of alternative entertainment for Fox. On December 16, 2013, Tuvalu Media joined forces with financing firm Karmign and acquired SPT's 60% stakes to regain independence. SPT acquired 60% in Tuvalu in 2008.
On January 15, 2014, former BBC entertainment commissioner Karl Warner teamed up with SPT to launch Electric Ray, which will collaborate with SPT in the U.S. and abroad on development for entertainment and informative programming. All of Electric Ray's programming will be exported by SPT. The company's name comes from the nickname for Warner's father, who was an electrician. On March 20, 2014, SPT joined forces with execs Kieran Doherty and Matt Worthy to form Stellify Media. The new venture will be based in Northern Ireland. Just like Electric Ray, Stellify Media will collaborate with SPT's other production companies and UK shows and formats will be exported by SPT's distribution arm. On June 26, 2014, SPT announced to acquire CSC Media Group including 16 of its cable channels. the deal closed on August 15, 2014. On December 1, 2014, SPT acquired Australian drama production company, Playmaker Media.
On July 26, 2014 Liberty Global announced that it had put Film1 up for sale. Liberty Global agreed to sell Film1 to Sony Pictures Television on March 27, 2015. The sale was completed on July 21, 2015.
On May 28, 2015, TriStar Television was re-launched as a boutique production label for Sony Pictures Television. The revived studio will be ran by Suzanne Patmore-Gibbs after being in-name-only for 15 years. The first new series will be The Good Girls Revolt and is set to be piloted for Amazon.
- GSN (58%): Launched on December 1, 1994. Jointly owned by DirecTV (42%).
- Sony Entertainment Television: Launched on September 30, 1995.
- AXN: Launched on May 22, 1997.
- Sony Movie Channel: Launched on October 1, 2010. Also operates in the United Kingdom (formerly Movies4Men 2), Ireland, and Canada.
- GetTV: A movie-focused digital multicast network to air classic films by Sony Pictures, that was scheduled to launch in Fall 2013. It was later launched on February 3, 2014.
- Movies4Men: The network was launched on February 1, 2006 by Dolphin Broadcast Services Ltd. Acquired by SPT on January 19, 2012.
- More Than Movies: Formerly Men&Movies, the network was launched on October 2010 by Dolphin Broadcast Services Ltd. Acquired by SPT on Jan. 19, 2012.
- Cine Sony Television: A US/Spanish language network launched in August 2012.
Notes and references
- "Executive Team". Sony Pictures Television. Retrieved 2010-11-21.
- Goetzl, David (June 30, 2011). "Sony Gains Control of GSN Even With Minority Stake". TVBlog (MediaPost). Retrieved June 30, 2011.
- Nathan, John (2001). SONY. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. pp. 185, 186. ISBN 9780618126941.
- Gilbert, Tom (August 19, 2007). "Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy!: Merv Griffin's True TV Legacy". TelevisionWeek.
- "Dr. Oz Undergoes a Life-Saving Colonoscopy and Receives a Surprising Diagnosis as The Dr. Oz Show Launches Its Second Season Tuesday, September 7". The Futon Critic. September 1, 2010. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "The Queen Latifah Show Posts Highest New Daytime Series Premiere of the Year". The Futon Critic. September 17, 2013. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "Shark Tank, the Exciting New Show That Gives Budding Entrepreneurs a Chance to Make Their Moneymaking Business Or Idea Come True, Premieres Sunday, August 9, on the ABC Television Network". The Futon Critic. June 8, 2009. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "NBC's New a Capella Singing Competition Series "The Sing-Off" Travels to Four Cities in Search of the Most Talented Groups in America". The Futon Critic. August 18, 2009. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "Official page for The Young and the Restless". Sony Pictures Television. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- Elliott, Stuart (2010-10-06). "Web Site to Offer Health Advice, Some of It From Marketers". ""New York Times"". Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- "Dr. Mehmet Oz and Internet Entrepreneur, Jeff Arnold, Announce Sharecare Inc.,a Web 3.0 Platform, Organizing and Answering the Questions of Health". Bloomberg L.P. November 2, 2009. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- "Remodeling at Screen Gems". Broadcasting: p. 39. 1974-05-06.
- "EBSCO Host Connection" Feltheimer heads new Columbia TriStar TV connection.ebscohost.com, Retrieved on December 18, 2012
- Sony Pictures Entertainment Renames Television Operations; Domestic and International Divisions Take Sony Name, prnewswire.com
- "PRNewswire" Sony Pictures Television International Forms First Fully Government Approved Television and Film Production Joint Venture in the People's Republic of China, prnewswire.com, Retrieved on September 30, 2012
- "Indiantelevision.com" Sony forms TV production JV in China, indiantelevision.com, Retrieved on September 30, 2012
- Jules Grant "C21Media" 27-03-2008 invests in new UK indie c21media.com, Retrieved on December 21, 2013
- Jessica Rogers "Broadcast UK" Sony takes stake in ex-Lion duo start-up broadcastnow.co.uk, Retrieved on December 21, 2013
- Emily Brookes "C21Media" 04-06-2008 Sony finalises 2waytraffic acquisition c21media.com, Retrieved on December 21, 2013
- ANNA MARIE DE LA FUENTE "Variety" January 28, 2009 Sony TV into Teleset variety.com, Retrieved on February 15, 2013
- Sony combines TV units, chollywood.org
- "Digital Spy" Sony agrees new TV production tie-up digitalspy.com Retrieved on April 3, 2012
- NELLIE ANDREEVA "Deadline" Andrea Wong Tapped As President Of Int’l Production At Sony Pictures TV & President International At Sony Pictures Entertainment deadline.com, Retrieved on October 1, 2013
- "Sony dives in with Dolphin". C21Media. 19 January 2012.
- Mark Sweney "The Guardian" 19 January 2012 Sony Pictures Television buys Dolphin Broadcasting to boost UK presence theguardian.com, Retrieved on December 22, 2013
- "Sony Pictures Press Releases" Sony Pictures Television and Silver River Productions join forces UK expansion for SPT International Production sonypictures.com Retrieved on April 3, 2012
- "Yahoo! Finance"Sony Pictures Television's Sony Movie Channel and AXN Movies to launch in Canada in partnership with Hollywood Suite.finance.yahoo.com, Retrieved on July 10, 2012
- "London Deadline" Sony Pictures Television Acquires UK’s Left Bank Pictures deadline.com, Retrieved on August 23, 2012
- "Variety" Sony Pictures TV buys stake in Left Bank variety.com, Retrieved on August 23, 2012
- NANCY TARTAGLIONE "Deadline" Sony Pictures Television, Simon Andreae Launch UK Production Outfit Scarlet Media deadline.com, Retrieved on August 22, 2013
- "Broadcast" Simon Andreae drops UK indie plans for job with Fox broadcastnow.co.uk, Retrieved on January 21, 2014
- Report: Tuvalu Media Buys Out Sony Pictures’ Stakes To Regain Independence Elsa Keslassy variety.com, Retrieved on April 5, 2014
- NANCY TARTAGLIONE "Deadline" Sony Pictures Television, Karl Warner Launch UK Production Outfit Electric Ray deadline.com, Retrieved on January 21, 2014
- Lisa Campbell "Broadcast" Karl Warner launches Sony-backed indie broadcastnow.co.uk, Retrieved on January 21, 2014
- Sony Pictures Television Launches Northern Ireland Production Company Stellify Media NANCY TARTAGLIONE deadline.com, Retrieved on March 20, 2014
- "Fox Business" Sony to buy Britain's CSC media group in TV network push foxbusiness.com, Retrieved on June 26, 2014
- Report: Sony Closes the CSC deal
- Cynthia Littleton "Variety"Sony Pictures Television Acquires Australia’s Playmaker Media variety.com, Retrieved on February 8, 2015
- Sony Pictures Television Acquires Australia's Playmaker Media Pip Bulbeck hollywoodreporter.com, Retrieved on February 8, 2015
- Don Groves "C21 Media"Sony buys Australia’s Playmaker c21media.net, Retrieved for February 8, 2015
- Robert Briel (26 July 2014). "Liberty Global willing to sell Film1". BroadbandTVNews.com.
- Robert Briel (27 March 2015). "Sony buys Film1 from Liberty Global". BroadbandTVNews.com.
- SONY PICTURES TELEVISION CLOSES FILM1 DEAL sonypicturestelevision.com, Retrieved on July 26, 2015
- "Sony Pictures TV To Launch Movies Diginet". TVNewsCheck. April 22, 2013. Retrieved April 24, 2013.
- "Sony Pictures Press Releases" Sony Pictures Television Networks to Launch US Spanish Language Entertainment Channel, Debuting on Verizon FiOS TV Cine Sony Television will launch on FiOS TV in August sonypictures.com, Retrieved on September 12, 2012
- Sony Pictures Television
- Sony Pictures Television Corporate Site
- Sony Pictures Television International Distribution
- Sony Pictures Television International Formats Distribution
- Sony Pictures Television at the Internet Movie Database