|Slogan||"Get Ready for the Unexpected"|
|Model||E5603, E5606, E5653 (single sim)|
E5633, E5643, E5663 (dual sim)
|Predecessor||Sony Xperia M4 Aqua|
|Successor||Sony Xperia X|
|Dimensions||145 mm (5.7 in) H |
72 mm (2.8 in) W
7.6 mm (0.30 in) D
|Mass||142.5 g (5.03 oz)|
|Operating system||Original: Android 5.0 Lollipop|
Next update: Android 5.1 Lollipop
Current: Android 6.0 Marshmallow
|System-on-chip||MediaTek HelioX10 MT6795|
|CPU||2.0 GHz octa-core 64-bit|
ARMv8-A Cortex-A53 Cores
|GPU||PowerVR Rogue G6200|
|Memory||3 GB LPDDR3 RAM|
|Removable storage||Up to 200 GB microSDXC|
|Battery||Non-user removable Li-ion 2600 mAh|
|Display||5.0 in (130 mm) IPS LCD|
Full HD 1920x1080 (441ppi)
Sony BRAVIA Mobile engine 2
24-bit depth colours
Sony Exmor IMX230
1.12 µm pixel size
Phase-detection Autofocus + Contrast-detection Autofocus
4K 2160p@30 fps
|Front camera||13 MP|
Sony Exmor IMX135
1.136 µm pixel size
USB 2.0 (Micro-B port, USB charging)
3.50 mm (0.138 in) Headphone Jack CTIA/AHJ
|Data inputs||Multi-touch, capacitive touchscreen, proximity sensor|
The Sony Xperia M5 is a water & dust resistant high-range Android smartphone manufactured by Sony serving as the successor to the Xperia M4 Aqua. The phone was unveiled on 3 August 2015 along with the Xperia C5 Ultra. The phone is marketed as a “super mid-range” phone, which is between its predecessor, the M4 Aqua, and the flagship, the Xperia Z5
Like its predecessor, the Xperia M4 Aqua, the Xperia M5 is waterproof and dustproof, and has an IP rating of IP65 and IP68. The key highlight of the phone is the 21.5 megapixel rear camera and ISO 3200 along with 0.25 second Hybrid Autofocus that utilizes phase detection autofocus.
The Xperia M5 features a 5.0 inch (130 mm) 1080p display. It is dust and water proof with an IP rating of IP65 and IP68 and is powered by the 2.0 GHz octa-core MediaTek HelioX10 MT6795 processor which is backed by 3 GBs of RAM. The M5 includes a non-removable 2600 mAh battery. The rear camera of the M5 is 21.5 megapixel with a Sony Exmor RS image sensor along with ISO 3200 and f/2.2 aperture. The devices also features hybrid autofocus that utilizes phase detection autofocus and contrast detection autofocus that can focus the object within 0.25 seconds. The device comes with 16 GB internal storage along with microSDXC card expansion up to 200 GB.
The dual-sim variant of the Xperia M5 was launched in India and Hong Kong on 9 September 2015. Sony also announced in early 2016 to sell the M5 in the UK despite originally planning not to sell in UK 
The handset occasionally suffers from automatic shutoff and cannot be restarted or turned on unless connected to a power source via a USB cable. Sony has commented on the issues and has confirmed that most of their first batch of this phone that was released had issues and were faulty and that customers with affected handsets were able to have them repaired by replacing the faulty battery with a new one at a Sony Service Center.
The Xperia M5 was generally well received. Sony was praised for the handset's improved camera, longer battery life and more generous internal storage 
- "Sony Mobile continues its innovation in imaging with the introduction of two best in class super mid-range smartphones". 3 August 2015. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Super mid-range phone announced". Android Authority. 3 August 2015. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Sony Xperia M5 announced". Xperia Blog. 3 August 2015. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Sony Xperia M5 vs Sony Xperia M4 Aqua". Pocket-Lint. 3 August 2015. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Sony announced Xperia M5, a super mid range phone with hybrid autofocus". Phonearena. 3 August 2015. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Sony Xperia M5 specs".
- "Sony announces the "super mid-range" Xperia M5 with 21.5mp Hybrid Autofocus". Androidpolice. 2 August 2015. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Sony Xperia M5 gets official". Geeky Gadgets. 3 August 2015. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) update for Xperia devices". Sony Mobile. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Xperia M5 Dual launches in India and Hong Kong". Xperia Blog. 9 September 2015. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Sony Xperia M5 with 21 MP camera launched in India". International Business Times. 9 September 2015. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Sony Xperia M5 To Arrive In UK; Device Now Available For Pre-Order". Lawyer Herald. 2016-01-26. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- "The forum has moved | Sony Mobile Support". support.sonymobile.com. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- "Did anyone find solution for auto switching off in Sony Xperia M5?". XDA Developers. 5 December 2015. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- "Sony Xperia M5 Review". Trusted Reviews. 11 November 2016. Retrieved 2020-06-02.