Sony Xperia Z Ultra
|Manufacturer||Sony Mobile Communications|
|Compatible networks||GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900|
(Network specifications varies across models)
|First released||July 24, 2013|
|Availability by region||July 24, 2013 (India)
31 July 2013(Hong Kong, Malaysia)
13 September 2013(United Kingdom)
15 October 2013(Canada)
10 December 2013Google Play Edition)(United States,
24 January 201425 January 2014 (Japan, SGP412 Wi-Fi only variant) (Japan, SOL24 variant exclusively for au by KDDI)
|Discontinued||8 July 2014(United States, Google Play Edition)|
|Successor||Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact(SGP412 Only)|
Sony Xperia XA Ultra(As a phablet)
|Related||Sony Xperia Z|
Sony Xperia Z1
|Dimensions||175 mm (6.9 in) H|
92 mm (3.6 in) W
6.5 mm (0.26 in)
|Mass||212 g (7.48 oz)|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean (initial)|
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean (2013 upgrade)
Android 4.4.2 KitKat (2014 upgrade)
Android 4.4.4 KitKat (2014 upgrade)
Android 5.0 Lollipop (2015 Apr upgrade)
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop(current, Google Play Edition 2015, non-GPe models Dec 2015)
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 2.2 GHz quad-core|
|Memory||2 GB RAM|
|Storage||16 GB (32 GB for SGP412 and SOL24 variants)|
|Removable storage||up to 64 GB microSDXC|
|Battery||non-user removable Li-ion 3050 mAh|
|Display||6.44 in (164 mm) diagonal TFT 3|
1920x1080 px (342 ppi)
|Rear camera||Sony 8.0 MP back-side illuminated sensor 1080p video recording @ 30 frames/s 16x digital zoom|
|Front camera||2.0 MP (1080p video recording)|
|Other||Available in black, purple and white|
IP55/IP58 (Dust protected, Water jet protected & Waterproof)
1seg (C6843 and SOL24 variants only)
Osaifu-Keitai (SOL24 variant only)
LISMO (SOL24 variant only)
POBox Touch 6.2 (SGP412 and SOL24 variants only)
|SAR||0.441 W/Kg (10g) at the ear|
Like the Sony Xperia Z and Z1, the phone is dust protected, low pressure water jet protected, and waterproof, allowing immersion under 1.5 metre of water for up to 30 minutes (IP55/58), as well as shatterproof and scratch-resistant, making it the world's thinnest IP certified smartphone.
The Xperia Z Ultra uses the same "Omni-Balance" design as Xperia Z. Combining tempered glass on both the front and rear with a metallic frame, the phablet is described as an "attractive-looking gadget" which has "minimalistic" yet "stylish" appeal and "premium feel".
Sony Xperia Z Ultra is available in three colors: black, white and purple.
The Sony Xperia Z Ultra has a 6.44" display, is slim (175 x 92 x 6.5 mm) and lightweight (212 g); it is also dust protected, low pressure water jet protected, waterproof (IP55/IP58), shatterproof and scratch-resistant. It has a 2 megapixel front camera and 8 megapixel rear camera with an Exmor R sensor, 16x digital zoom with auto focus, 1080 p HD recording, HDR, continue burst mode, face detection.FM RADIO with stereo.
On the inside, the Z Ultra is first smartphone announced with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor. It comes with a sealed 3050 mAh Lithium polymer battery, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB of flash storage, and also has a microSD card slot (up to 128 GB). For connectivity, the phone has LTE, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, Wi-Fi and screen mirroring.
Sony will also release a Smart Bluetooth Headset (SBH52) that allows answering calls without taking the phablet out, as well as reading call logs and text messages, listening to music and FM radio. The headset has NFC for single-touch pairing with Xperia Z Ultra, and it is also water-resistant.
The 6.44" Full HD (1080p) 342 ppi touchscreen display uses Sony's Triluminos™ and X-Reality for mobile technology, with an OptiContrast panel to reduce reflection and enable clearer viewing even in bright sunlight. The screen is highly responsive and compatible with stylus as well as regular pencils or metal pens.
Being waterproof means that users can use the phablet in bath, in the rain, or take it to the pool or beach. Although lacking a rear LED flash, the phone's cameras are capable of taking pictures/videos at any light and even underwater.
The Xperia Z Ultra was originally shipped with Sony's custom version of Android 4.2.2, and as of 27 June 2014, the Xperia Z Ultra has received the Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) update. In addition to Sony's own applications like Walkman, PlayStation Mobile, battery stamina mode, several Google apps also come preloaded (Google Chrome, Google Play, Google Voice Search, Google Maps, NeoReader™ barcode scanner). On 2 November 2014, the Xperia Z Ultra Google Play Edition received an update to Android 5.0 Lollipop.
On 4 December 2015, the international version of the Xperia Z Ultra received the Android 5.1.1 update from Sony.
Because of its size, the phone's on-screen keyboard and dialer can be switched to either sides for users to easily reach all keys with only the thumb.
|Model||FCC id||Carriers/regions||GSM bands||UMTS bands||LTE bands||Notes|
|C6806||PY7PM-0430||North America||Quad||Penta||1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 17|| Google Play Edition|
|C6833||PY7PM-0410||Worldwide||Quad||Penta||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20|||
|C6843||PY7PM-0620||Brazil||Quad||Penta||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20|||
|SOL24||PY7PM-0700||au by KDDI (Japan)||Quad||CDMA JP 800 (BC0), 2100 (BC6);
UMTS Bands 1, 2, 5
|1, 3, 11, 18|||
All variants (except SOL24) support four 2G GSM bands 850/900/1800/1900 and five 3G UMTS band 850/900/1700/1900/2100.
Sony Xperia Z Ultra is praised for its "very classy" exterior, "stunning" massive Triluminos display, stylish premium design, slim form, light weight, impressive build quality, durability (water and dustproof), interesting pencil/pen compatibility, and powerful specs.
PhoneArena wrote that the Xperia Z Ultra is "an engineering marvel" "towering above all other phablets not only in screen size, but also in specs and design". Its performance is described as "blazing fast", claimed to be the "fastest mobile device they've tested so far" (as of 13 August 2013). According to ExpertReviews, Xperia Z Ultra is "more than twice as fast as a Galaxy S4".
- "Xperia Z SGP412 Wi-Fi edition launches in Japan", Xperia blog, Jan 22, 2014.
- "Xperia Z Ultra SOL24 launches on Au by KDDI in Japan", Xperia blog, Jan 22, 2014.
- "Sorry Z Ultra Google Play Edition reaches EOL", Xperia blog, Jul 9, 2014.
- "Xperia™ Z Ultra Specifications". Sony Mobile. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- included "SAR Information" leaflet, Sony C6833
- "Xperia™ Z Ultra". Sony Mobile. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Sony Xperia Z Ultra Review". Phone arena. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Xperia™ Z Ultra Features". Sony Mobile. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Sony Xperia Z Ultra: one phablet to rule them all (hands-on)". CNET. 2013-06-25.
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra phablet review – hands-on, UK: Expert reviews, 2013-08-13.
- "Xperia™ Z Ultra Accessories". Sony Mobile. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Smart Bluetooth® Handset SBH52". Sony Mobile. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Sony SBH52 smart Bluetooth handset review, Recombu, 2013-07-23.
- Lai, Richard (2013-06-25), Sony's SBH52 Smart Bluetooth clip acts as your secondary handset, Engadget.
- Sony's huge Xperia Z Ultra comes with a small companion: SBH52 Bluetooth Handset, Phone arena, 2013-06-25.
- Mccann, Jaymi (2013-06-25), "Now you can even use your mobile in the bath: Sony unveils WATERPROOF phone that can also take underwater pictures and video", The Daily mail, UK.
- "Xperia™ Z Ultra HSPA+ C6802 white paper". Sony. 2013-08-01.
- "Xperia™ Z Ultra HSPA+ XL39h white paper". Sony. 2013-08-01.
- "Sony". Xperia™ Z Ultra LTE C6806 white paper. 2013-08-01.
- "Z Ultra Google Play edition C6806 white paper". Sony. 2013-12-18. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- "Xperia™ Z Ultra LTE C6833 white paper". Sony. 2013-09-19.
- "Xperia™ Z Ultra LTE C6843 white paper". Sony. 2013-08-15.
- "Sony Xperia Z Ultra LTE SOL24 (Sony Togari Anna) Specs". PDAdb. 2015-05-31.
| Sony Xperia Z Ultra(SGP412)
Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact