Location in Somalia.
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
From 2003 until October 2007, Sool was administered by Puntland, a territory with a similar clan composition. In 2007, forces from Somaliland occupied the region and assumed control. There is strong opposition against the presence of Somaliland troops in the region.
In the late 2000s, HBM-SSC (Hoggaanka Badbaadada iyo Mideynta SSC), a local unionist group whose goal is to establish its own regional administration (Sool, Sanaag and Cayn or SSC), was formed.
The Sool region consists of four districts:
- "Somalia". The World Factbook. Langley, Virginia: Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- Somaliland’s Quest for International Recognition and the HBM-SSC Factor
- Royal African Society, African affairs, Volume 101, Issues 402-405, (Oxford University Press: 2002), p.103.
- "Somalia (1988)". CIA. December 1988. Retrieved 2007-02-21.
- "Sool Region". Retrieved 30 December 2013.