|Village (and former municipality)|
The former municipal area (2007)
|• Total||13.26 km2 (5.12 sq mi)|
|Elevation||637 m (2,090 ft)|
|Population (December 2014)|
|• Density||22/km2 (58/sq mi)|
Sool is first mentioned between 1303-07 as soler tagwan.
The village of Sool is situated at an elevation of 637 m (2,090 ft) on a prehistoric landslide, between the valleys of the Linth and Sernf rivers. The village of Schwanden lies below it, at the confluence of both rivers.
Sool has an area, as defined by the former municipal boundaries in 2006, of 13.3 km2 (5.1 sq mi), covering a considerable area to the north and east of the village. This area reaches up to the peak of the Gufelstock (2,436 m or 7,992 ft). Of this area, 23.6% is used for agricultural purposes, while 42% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.2% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (33.2%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The Sernftalbus operates an bus service linking Sool with Schwanden railway station, with several return journeys a day. At Schwanden railway station, a connecting railway service runs to the capital of the canton of Glarus, the town of Glarus.
Sool has a population (as of 31 December 2014) of 296. As of 2007[update], 3.5% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 2.1%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (98.0%), with Russian being second most common ( 1.0%) and Rhaeto-Romance being third ( 0.3%).
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Sool about 72.9% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either University or a Fachhochschule).
Sool has an unemployment rate of 1.5%. As of 2005[update], there were 15 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 9 businesses involved in this sector. 8 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 2 businesses in this sector. 10 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 4 businesses in this sector.
- map.geo.admin.ch (Map). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Sool". Historical Dictionary of Switzerland (in French). 30 July 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "Gemeinde Glarus Süd" [Glarus Süd Municipality] (in German). Gemeinde Glarus Süd. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 14-Sep-2009
- "Sernftalbus - Fahrplan 2015" [Sernftalbus - Timetable 2015] (PDF) (in German). Autobetrieb Sernftal AG. Retrieved 2015-04-20.
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 31 August 2015
- Canton Glarus population growth (German) accessed 9 September 2009
- Media related to Sool at Wikimedia Commons
- Sool from the Glarus Süd municipal web site (in German)
- Sool in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.