|Directed by||Shaad Ali|
|Produced by||Sony Pictures Networks Productions|
|Screenplay by||Suyash Trivedi|
|Edited by||Farooq Hundekar|
Sony Pictures Networks India
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Releasing|
|Box office||₹47.54 crore|
Soorma (transl. Warrior; Hindi pronunciation: [suːɾmaː]) is a 2018 Indian biographical sports drama film based on the life of hockey player Sandeep Singh, directed by Shaad Ali and produced by Sony Pictures Networks India and C.S. Films. The film stars Diljit Dosanjh and Tapsee Pannu in lead roles and it was theatrical released on 13 July 2018 to mixed reviews from critics. The official trailer of the film was released on 11 June 2018.
Soorma tells the story of the international hockey player Sandeep Singh, played by Diljit Dosanjh, who was paralyzed and used a wheelchair for two years after an accidental gunshot injured him in 2006. The film’s tagline is "The Greatest Comeback Story of the Hockey Legend Sandeep Singh". Fighting against all odds, Sandeep got back on his feet and made a comeback to international hockey in 2008. India won the 2009 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup under his captaincy and went on to qualify for the 2012 Olympics. The story also mentions the contribution of his brother in his life who stood like a pillar of constant support during these hard times and also shows his girlfriend who left him, so that he would be able to focus on recovering and doing well for himself.
- Diljit Dosanjh as Sandeep Singh
- Agam Singh as Young Sandeep Singh
- Tapsee Pannu as Harpreet
- Angad Bedi as Bikramjeet Singh
- Amritpal Singh as Young Bikramjeet Singh
- Amit Gaur as Ajit, Harpreet’s Brother
- Satish Kaushik as Gurcharan Singh (Sandeep Singh's father)
- Seema Kaushal as Daljeet Kaur (Sandeep Singh's mother)
- Jasmin Bajwa as Minaxi Singh
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda as Chairman of Indian Hockey Federation
- Vijay Raaz as Harry (Sandeep Singh's Coach)
- Jimmy Moses as Joseph Lobo (Sandeep Singh's Assistant Coach)
- Bikramjeet Singh (Sandeep Singh's real brother) as Tanveer (Pakistani Rival of Sandeep Singh)
In November 2014, Chitrangda Singh purchased the rights to make a biopic on the life of former India Hockey captain Sandeep Singh. In July 2017, it was reported that Chitrangda Singh would be collaborating with Sony Pictures Networks to produce the film in which Diljit Dosanjh would be playing the lead role. For the role of Sandeep Singh, the first preference of the producers was Ranveer Singh but the actor refused to do the film on being offered the role in the year 2016 citing lack of dates. Initially, for the role of Harpreet, the makers of the film had finalized Ileana D'Cruz but the actress opted out of the project as the filming dates were clashing with another film of hers that she was doing with Rajkumar Gupta. In September 2017, it was reported that Taapsee Pannu had been signed to play the romantic lead opposite Diljit Dosanjh in the film.
The principal photography of the film began in Shahabad in November 2017. The next schedule of the filming process took place in Chandigarh in December 2017. For the final schedule of filming, which involved shooting the hockey matches, the production unit moved to Belgrade in Serbia where shooting continued for 10 days before coming to an end on 24 December 2017. The Hockey sequences in the film were choreographed by Sandeep Singh and his brother Bikramjit Singh.
|Soundtrack album by Shankar–Ehsaan–Loy|
|Released||3 July 2018|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sony Music India|
The music of the movie is composed by Shankar–Ehsaan–Loy with lyrics by Gulzar. Contestants of the Talent Hunt show Rising Star, Hemant Brijwasi and Akhtar Brothers were offered a song by Shankar Mahadevan and Diljit Dosanjh for the movie.
|1.||"Ishq Di Baajiyaan"||Diljit Dosanjh, Shankar Mahadevan (backing vocals)||4:47|
|2.||"Soorma Anthem"||Shankar Mahadevan||4:12|
|3.||"Good Man Di Laaltain"||Sukhwinder Singh, Sunidhi Chauhan||3:25|
|4.||"Pardesiya"||Ehsaan Noorani, Shankar Mahadevan, Shehnaz Akhtar, Hemant Brijwasi, Sahil Akhtar||4:57|
|5.||"Flicker Singh"||Ehsaan Noorani, Shankar Mahadevan, Shehnaz Akhtar, Hemant Brijwasi, Sahil Akhtar||6:06|
Soorma received mixed reviews from critics. Subhash K Jha of Business Standard says, "After extolling a gangster, Bollywood salutes a true hero" and gave it 4.5 stars out of 5. Ronak Kotecha of The Times of India rated the film 3.5/5 stars stating that It is a story told with its heart in the right place, and on that count it scores. Divya Pal of News18 gave the film a rating of 2 out of 5 saying that the film is well intentioned but lacks depth. Rohit Vats of Hindustan Times gave the film a rating of 2 out of 5 saying that the film lacks the firepower to create a strong impact even though it does have praise worthy performances given by Vijay Raaz, Angad Bedi and Satish Kaushik. Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV criticized the film saying that Soorma is "a hockey film sans genuine impetus" and gave it a rating of 2 out of 5. Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express gave the film a rating of 2.5 out of 5 and praised Diljit Dosanjh for his portrayal of Sandeep Singh but felt that the film falls short of becoming a sports film that would leave a lasting impact. Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave the film two and a half stars out of five and writes, "Soorma is laced with a promising plot but the weak execution hampers the impact".
Soorma had opened a weak collection on Box office it collected ₹3.20 crores (net) on its first day in India, on its second day it jumped over 57.81% and collected over ₹5.05 crores and its 2 days total collection is now ₹8.25 crore. After 2nd day on 3rd day it increases and marked up to ₹5.60 crores. On the 4th day film collected ₹2 crores and on 5th day ₹1.94 crores making Soorma total ₹17.79 crores. On 6th day it collected ₹1.77 crores. End of the first week of Soorma is up to ₹21.21 crores and after day 7 on day 8 Soorma collected ₹1.65 crores and on day 9 it decreases and only collected ₹85 lakhs but on its 10th day it increases and marked ₹1.60 crores and on 11th day it collected well on Box office and marked up to ₹2.10 crores approximately. From day 12th-15th day it collected ₹2.45 crores.
- "Soorma (2018) - Movie - Box Office India". Box Office India. Retrieved 28 August 2018.
- "Soorma Box office and days wise break up Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "Diljit Dosanjh as Sandeep Singh in Soorma: Who is Sandeep Singh?". Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- "Diljit Dosanjh transforms into drag-flicker Sandeep Singh in biopic. See photo". Hindustan Times/. 2017-11-27. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- "Diljit Dosanjh as Hockey Legend Sandeep Singh In 'Soorma'". The Quint. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- "'Soorma' trailer: The intriguing story of Sandeep Singh is sure to win your hearts - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- "Failure-To-Success Story Of Famous Indian Hockey Player, Sandeep Singh". Passion Connect. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- Administrator. "Previous Winners". www.azlanshahcup.com. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- "Amit Gaur: I feel proud to be associated with Soorma". The Indian Express.
- "Now a film on hockey player Sandeep Singh". The Hindu.
- "Chitrangada to produce a biopic on hockey player Sandeep Singh". The Indian Express.
- "Diljit Dosanjh to play hockey ace Sandeep Singh in Chitrangda Singh's production". Mumbai Mirror.
- "Not Diljit Dosanjh, but Ranveer Singh was the first choice to play Sandeep Singh in Soorma". India Today.
- "Ileana D'Cruz picks Ajay Devgn over Diljit Dosanjh". DNA India.
- "Taapsee Pannu to feature opposite Diljit Dosanjh in the Shaad Ali-directed Sandeep Singh biopic". Mumbai Mirror.
- "Taapsee Pannu all set to star opposite Diljit Dosanjh in the untitled Shaad Ali film". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Sandeep Singh Biopic: Taapsee Pannu Begins Filming in Shahbad". News18.
- "An afternoon on Diljit Dosanjh's Soorma set". Rediff.
- "Taapsee Pannu wraps up the India schedule of sports biopic 'Soorma'". DNA India.
- "Chitrangda Singh's Soorma wraps shoot before the allotted time". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Soorma team wraps up shooting as Taapsee Pannu invites audience for a gripping watch". The Indian Express.
- "Diljit Dosanjh: Said no to Sandeep Singh biopic Soorma two-three times". The Indian Express.
- "Sandeep Singh, Bikramjit Singh to direct hockey scenes in Soorma". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Soorma (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)". iTunes.
- "Diljit Dosanjh to croon a song penned by Gulzar for Soorma". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Sony India Sets up Sports Biopic 'Soorma'". Variety.
- "Rising Star 2 winner Hemant Brijwasi: Through this show, I got a chance to sing for upcoming movies Soorma and Genius". The Indian Express.
- "Straight from the heartland". The Hindu.
- "Rising Star contestants to sing songs for Soorma". DNA India.
- "Shankar Mahadevan gives reality show contestants a Bollywood break". Mumbai Mirror.
- Nair, Vipin (2018-07-10). "A class act". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-10-14.
- "Soorma - Music Review (Bollywood Soundtrack) | Music Aloud". www.musicaloud.com. Retrieved 2018-10-14.
- "Soorma (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Gaikwad, Pramod. "Soorma movie review roundup: Diljit Dosanjh, Taapsee Pannu and Angad Bedi's sports biopic gets mixed response".
- "'Soorma': After extolling a gangster, Bollywood salutes a true Hero".
- "Soorma Movie Review". The Times of India.
- "Soorma Movie Review: Diljit Dosanjh Makes Sandeep Singh's Biopic Watchable". News18.
- "Soorma movie review: Diljit Dosanjh's film misses the target". Hindustan Times.
- "Soorma Movie Review: Diljit Dosanjh Makes The Best Of A Bad Deal". NDTV.
- "Soorma review: Diljit Dosanjh as Sandeep Singh is spot on". The Indian Express.
- "Soorma Movie Review: Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. 12 July 2018. Retrieved 14 July 2018.