Sophia Abena Boafoa Akuffo
Sophia Akuffo undergoing vetting for role of Chief Justice
|13th Chief Justice of Ghana|
24th Chief Justice of Gold Coast/Ghana
|Assumed office |
19 June 2017
|Appointed by||Nana Akufo-Addo|
|Preceded by||Georgina Wood|
|Supreme Court Judge|
|Assumed office |
30 November 1995
|Appointed by||Jerry Rawlings|
|Born||20 December 1949|
Akuffo has been a member of the Governing Committee of the Commonwealth Judicial Education Institute, and the Chairperson of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Task Force. In January 2006 she was elected one of the first judges of the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights: initially elected for two years, she was subsequently re-elected until 2014 and served as Vice-President and President of the Court.
Akuffo wrote The Application of Information & Communication Technology in the Judicial Process – the Ghanaian Experience, a presentation to the African Judicial Network Ghana (2002).
Akuffo was nominated as Chief Justice on 11 May 2017 by Nana Akufo-Addo subject to approval by Parliament. She was sworn in by President Akufo-Addo on 19 June 2017 as the thirteenth Chief Justice of the Republic of Ghana.
- New Patriotic Party v Attorney-General (also referred to as the CIBA case) 1997 ICHRL 24 (12 March 1997)
Akuffo is a royal from Akropong-Akuapem in the Eastern Region, has a daughter and two grandchildren.
- "Judiciary will use technology for quality justice - Justice Sophia Akuffo". Ghanaweb. Ghanaweb. 19 June 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- Akufo-Addo for President '08 Archived 2010-02-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Alfa Shaban, Abdur Rahman (12 May 2017). "Ghana to have second successive female Chief Justice". Africa News. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- Judge Sophia Akuffo Archived 2010-06-18 at the Wayback Machine
- Samuel M. Makinda and F. Wafula Okumu, The African Union: challenges of globalization, security, and governance, Routledge, 2006, p. 190
- African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights Booklet Archived 2011-07-20 at the Wayback Machine
- The African Court Judges Archived 2010-06-18 at the Wayback Machine
- "Full list of Chief Justices in Ghana since 1957". Ghanaweb. Ghanaweb. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
| Chief Justice of Ghana
2017 – present
|This article about a Ghanaian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an African lawyer, judge or jurist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|