Sophia Grojsman (born 8 March 1945 in Lubcha, Belarus) is a Belarus-born American perfumer. Many of the perfumes created by her are based on the scent of rose. Grojsman is a Vice President of International Flavors and Fragrances, a perfume and scent company whose annual sales exceed two billion dollars (USD).
Early years and education
Sophia Grojsman started her life in Belarus, a former Soviet state. Her family moved to Poland when she was fifteen, and she received a Bachelor of Science degree in analytical inorganic chemistry there. In 1965, Grojsman immigrated to the United States and a year later began to work at International Flavors and Fragrances as a lab assistant.
In 1994, Sophia Grojsman received the Cosmetic Executive Women's Achiever Award for her lifetime contributions to perfumery. She also received the Living Legend Award from the American Society of Perfumers in 1996, and again in 1999 Grojsman was honored by the Cosmetic Executive Women for her lifetime achievements in the fragrance industry.
Among the best-selling fragrances that Grojsman has created:
- Bill Blass Nude (1990)
- Boucheron Jaipur (1994)
- Bvlgari Bvlgari Pour Femme (1994)
- Calvin Klein Eternity (1988)
- Calvin Klein Eternity Purple Orchid (2002)
- Celine Magic (1996)
- Christian Lacroix Christian Lacroix (1999)
- Coty, Inc. Ex'cla-ma'tion (1988)
- Elizabeth Taylor Diamonds and Rubies (1993)
- Estée Lauder Beautiful (1985)
- Estée Lauder Spellbound (1992)
- Estée Lauder White Linen (1978)
- Frederic Malle Outrageous! (2007)
- Gloria Vanderbilt Vanderbilt (1982)
- IVS Elite Group Désir Coulant (2012)
- HRH Princess Elizabeth E (2002)
- HRH Princess Elizabeth Jelisaveta (2002)
- Karl Lagerfeld Sun Moon Stars (1994)
- Kenzo Kashaya (1994)
- Lalique Lalique (1992)
- Lancôme Trésor (1990)
- Lancôme Trésor Sparkling (2007)
- Laura Biagiotti Sotto Voce (1996)
- Oscar De La Renta Volupté (1992)
- Paloma Picasso Tentations (1996)
- Perry Ellis 360° (1992)
- Prescriptives Calyx (1987)
- Michel Germain Séxūal (1994)
- S-Perfume 100% Love (2003)
- Yves Rocher Neblina (2000)
- Yves Saint Laurent Paris (1983)
- Yves Saint Laurent Paris Premieres Roses (2003)
- Yves Saint Laurent Parisienne (2009)
- Yves Saint Laurent Yvresse (1993)
- "Perfumers: Grosjman, Sophia". Perfume Intelligence: The Encyclopaedia of Perfume. Retrieved 15 July 2009.
- Nemy, Enid (February 11, 1993). "In the World of Fragrance, Reputations Rest on the Nose . . .". The New York Times. Retrieved February 5, 2010.
- "A perfumer's passion - Lancome Paris profile". Archived from the original on April 21, 2008. Retrieved February 5, 2010.
- Sophia Grojsman Fragrances
- "IVS Elite Group". The website devoted to Désir Coulant - new perfume created by Sophia Grojsman.