|Born||1960 (age 58–59)|
Sophia Kalkau (born 1960) is a Danish artist, who works in a variety of media including writing, photography, sculpture and installation. Sophia Kalkau has studied Art History at Copenhagen University and holds a degree in Art Theory from the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts. She is the author of numerous publications on aesthetics.
In the center of Kalkau's art stands a critical, open dialogue that researches vocabularies of material and form around the female body through a photographic work. In a repetitive act of merging, binding and combining human figures and geometrical objects Kalkau formulates an artistic narrative of surface continuity and spatial organization.
A key characteristic of her oeuvre is a conceptual approach to contemporary sculpture that she serially explores through her own body. Kalkau's interest in physical, cognitive and perceptive transitions materializes frequently in a scenographic performative gesture that she records through serial photographic prints. Kalkau's photographic work defies an unambiguous reading and invites the viewer to various interpretations.
Kalkau's sculptures, installations and photographies have been shown frequently in Denmark and abroad. For a period she was represented by Peter Lav Gallery in Copenhagen, DK until its closure.
Selection of Artworks
- 2015 Path to the planets ABC. (Photographic works)
- 2014 Polyopia I and II. (Photographic works)
- 2013 White table with phases. (Sculptures / objects)
- 2013 White situation. (Photographic works)
- 2012 Black Matter. (Photographic works)
- 2011 Vessel. (Sculptures / objects)
- 2006/2007 Shells of mirrors. (Sculptures / objects)
Art in public space in selection
- 2015 Another Way of Watching, Slotsvase. Palsgaard Slot, Juelsminde, DK.
- 2013-2015 Cirklen, Kurven, Bladet. The New University Hospital, Skejby, DK.
- 2012 Black Column. Pier project Søndergaard, Ballerup, DK.
- 2011 Atrium. Hospice Djursland, Rønde, DK.
- 2010/2011 Lenticula. The historic site of Skibelund Krat, DK.
- 2005 Quadrature of the Moon. The Royal Danish Academy Architecture Library. Copenhagen, DK.
- 2003 Black Lines. Vejleåparken, Ishøj,DK.
Public collection in selection
- New Carlsberg Foundation
- Horsens Kunstmuseum
- Museet for Fotokunst
- AROS Aarhus Kunstmuseum
- Vejen Kunstmuseum
- KØS – Museum of Art in Public Spaces
Awards and grants in selection
- 2015 Statens Kunstfonds Hædersydelse
- 2010 Carl Nielsen and Anne Marie Carl-Nielsen's Grant
- 2008 Eckersberg Medal
- 2008 Ole Haslund's Artists Foundation – Beckett-Foundation
- 2007 Sculptor Kai Nielsen's Memorial Grant
- 2004 Astrid Noack's Award of Honor
- 2004 Anna Klindt Sørensen's Award of Honor
- http://www.smk.dk/en/explore-the-art/search-smk/ - Sophia Kalkau