|Alderman for Chicago's 4th Ward|
|Assumed office |
April 13, 2016
|Preceded by||William D. Burns|
|Residence||Kenwood, Chicago, Illinois|
|Alma mater||Northwestern University (M.Ed.)|
University of Illinois (B.S.)
Sophia King is the alderman for Chicago’s 4th Ward, which includes Bronzeville, Hyde Park, Kenwood, Oakland and South Loop at its northern edge. King was sworn in on April 13, 2016 to succeed Will Burns, who resigned to become Vice President of Governmental Affairs with AirBnB. Prior to her appointment to the Chicago City Council by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, she was President of Harriet’s Daughters, a non-profit organization dedicated to employment and wealth creation opportunities for African-American neighborhoods.
King was born in Colorado and later raised in Evanston, Illinois. She earned a bachelor's from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and a master's in education and social policy from Northwestern University. In the late 1980s, King moved to Kenwood in a house she built with her husband Alan. Her husband studied for the bar with Michelle Obama and they are friends of the Obama family.
In 1996, King helped to establish Ariel Community Academy, a K-8 school, with Ariel Investments C.E.O. Mellody Hobson. She was involved in 2007-2008 with Obama's primary campaign and general election campaign.
Chicago City Council
In anticipation of running for the seat in the 2017 special election, King created a political action committee on March 9, 2016. King was appointed from a field of three finalists and eighteen initial applicants.
She is a member of the following committees; Committees, Rules and Ethics, Health and Environmental Protection, Housing and Real Estate, Pedestrian and Traffic Safety, Transportation and Public Way and Workforce Development and Audit.
King is a member of the Council's Progressive Reform Caucus.
- Dardick, Hal (2015-04-08). "Emanuel's 4th Ward alderman pick is friends with Obamas". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- Ahern, Mary Ann (2016-04-11). "Emanuel Names Sophia King as New 4th Ward Alderman After Burns' Surprise Resignation". WMAQ-TV. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- Spielman, Fran (2016-04-12). "Sophia King, new 4th Ward alderman, is not nobody nobody sent". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- Bushey, Claire (2012-06-30). "King of beats: Attorney juggles cases by day, DJs at night". Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- Cholke, Sam (2016-04-12). "Sophia King Named 4th Ward Alderman". DNAinfo.com. Archived from the original on 2016-05-31. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- "Legistar Profile – Sophia King". City Clerk of Chicago. 2016-04-13. Retrieved 2016-04-24.