Lowe attending the 2016 TV Week Logie Awards, May 2016
5 June 1990 |
Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, UK
Sophie Lowe (born 5 June 1990) is an English-born Australian actress and singer-songwriter. She appeared in the films Beautiful Kate, After the Dark, Adore, and Road Kill, and starred in the television series The Slap, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, The Returned and The Beautiful Lie.
Lowe's first roles were the short films Kindle, in which she played the lead role Hayley; Mirage, which was screened at the Montreal World Film Festival, and He. She. It., as well as a number of television advertisements before she graduated from The McDonald College in 2008.
Lowe's first substantial role was as the lead, Kate, in Beautiful Kate, which was released in 2009. For her role in Beautiful Kate, she was nominated for an AFI Award for Best Lead Actress. Her other credits include Natalie in the thriller film Blame, which was released in 2010. Blame was screened and received accolades at Cannes Film Festival, Melbourne International Film Festival, the 35th Toronto International Film Festival, the 47th Chicago International Film Festival and Buenos Aires International Film Festival of Independent Cinema.
In 2013, Lowe and her fellow McDonald College alumnus Rhys Wakefield co-wrote, co-directed, and starred in the short film A Man Walks Into a Bar... The film was a finalist at Sydney's Tropfest short film festival. Lowe and Wakefield previously worked together in the 2013 film After the Dark.
In 2015, Lowe starred in The Beautiful Lie, an Australian television series broadly based on Leo Tolstoy's novel Anna Karenina, playing Kitty Ballantyne, and filmed Waiting for the Miracle to Come, the feature film debut of Australian documentary filmmaker Lian Lunson. On 2016, she joined the independent Australian film Bloom, and Philip Noyce's thriller Above Suspicion.
Lowe is also a singer-songwriter, originally performing under the alias SOLO. In December 2013, she released a five-song EP named after her alias, released by the online music retailer Bandcamp. The music video for the song "Dreaming", one of the songs from the SOLO EP, was directed by actress and After the Dark co-star Bonnie Wright. She later dropped the SOLO name and performed under her real name.
Speaking to the media in October 2015, Lowe said she had a two-fold focus. When she had free time between acting, she tried to do as much music as she could. She stated that she would not give up acting for the sake of her burgeoning musical career. "There's no way I'm not acting," she said, "because that's my life."
|2008||He. She. It.||Cassie||Short film|
|2008||The Mirage||Deb||Short film|
|2009||Beautiful Kate||Kate Kendall|
|2011||One of Us||Rose|
|2013||Autumn Blood||The Girl|
|2013||After the Dark||Petra||originally titled The Philosophers|
|2013||A Man Walks Into a Bar...||Woman||Short film|
|2014||What Lola Wants||Lola|
|2016||Waiting for the Miracle to Come||Adeline Winter||Completed|
|2017||Above Suspicion||Kathy Putham|
|2005||Backyard Science||Young Scientist||Episode: "Moldy Meal"|
|2009||All Saints||Chloe||Episode: "Test of Faith"|
|2010||Satisfaction||Kate||Episodes: "Big Crush" & "Lifesavers"|
|2011||The Slap||Connie||Main role|
|2013–14||Once Upon a Time in Wonderland||Alice||Lead role|
|2015||The Returned||Lena||Main role|
|2015||The Beautiful Lie||Kitty Ballantyne|
|2016||"Never Be Like You"||cameo||Flume music video|
- Daily Life (2013-04-21). "Rise and shine". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- "The Mirage". The World Film Festival. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Sophie Lowe in Wonderland". mcdonald.nsw.edu.au. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "Blame it on raw talent". The Age. 19 June 2011. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- "Blame". SBS. Retrieved 22 June 2011.
- Blame at the Internet Movie Database
- Milfull, Tim (June 2011). "Blame". Rave Magazine. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
- Bannister, Brooke (9 June 2011). "Perth Hills is the setting for new Australian film 'Blame'". 720 ABC Perth. ABC Local Radio. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
- "Perth film Blame premieres following strong international and national response". Ausfilm. 8 June 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
- "A MAN WALKS INTO A BAR…". TROPFEST AUSTRALIA. 2 May 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Ross, Dalton (14 May 2013). "'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' trailer | Inside TV | EW.com". Insidetv.ew.com. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (28 March 2014). "'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' Canceled by ABC After One Season". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Kevin Alejandro To Co-Star In A&E Series 'The Returned'; Two Others Cast". Deadline.com. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "Sophie Lowe's new role could be her big break". Theaustralian.com.au. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- "First time director seals $1.2 million funding on Bloom starring Melissa George". If.com.au. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- May 30, 2016 (2016-05-30). "Thora Birch and Johnny Knoxville join Above Suspicion". Flickeringmyth.com. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- "Interview: Solo aka Sophie Lowe | Fashion Magazine | News. Fashion. Beauty. Music.". oystermag.com. 13 January 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "SOLO". Thisissolo.bandcamp.com. 21 December 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Riding Solo". Nowness. 17 December 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "SOPHIE LOWE RELEASES NEW EP, "DREAMING" MUSIC VIDEO". The Permanent Rain Press. 23 December 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Daily Telegraph, 2015-10-20, p.17
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sophie Lowe.|