Sophie Mechaly (born 1967), previously known as Sophie Albou, is a Paris-born designer best known as the founder of the Paul & Joe clothing line. The daughter of Yvan and Nicole Haggiag, a clothing company executive and designer respectively, Mechaly was educated at the Sorbonne and the Institut Français de la Mode before going to work for the clothing company Azzedine Alaia in 1983.
In 1995, she started a menswear company called Paul & Joe, adding a womenswear line in 1996. The first show in the United States was opened in New York City in 1996.
Mechaly opened another store in Notting Hill, and also has a store in Covent Garden. The London stores were closed due to what was rumoured to be financial trouble – they reopened in 2009, with the explanation that it was simply restructuring.
- "Sophie Albou Biography". Dictionary of World Biography. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- "Sophie's Choice". Vogue. 23 April 2009. Archived from the original on 1 May 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- Sister, Paul; Sister, Joe (2011). "UO Designer Collaborations: Sophie Albou". Urbanoutfitters.com. Urban Outfitters. Archived from the original on 11 July 2012. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- Anaïs Lerévérend (29 June 2015). "Paul & Joe se lance dans la lingerie avec Cosabella" (in French). FashionMag.com France.
- "CORPORATE INFORMATION" (in Japanese).