Sophie of Saxe-Lauenburg
|Sophie of Saxe-Lauenburg|
|Spouse(s)||Gerhard VII, Duke of Jülich-Berg|
|Noble family||House of Ascania|
|Father||Bernard II, Duke of Saxe-Lauenburg|
|Mother||Adelheid of Pomerania|
|Died||9 September 1473|
Sophie of Saxe-Lauenburg (born: before 1444; died: 9 September 1473) was a Duchess of Saxe-Lauenburg by birth and by marriage Duchess of Jülich-Berg. From 1456 until her death, she was regent of Jülich, Berg and Ravensberg for her eldest son.
in 1444, she married in 1444 Duke Gerhard VIII of Jülich-Berg, Count of Ravensberg (born: 1416 or 1417; died: 1475). In approximately 1456, Gerhard lapsed into insanity and Sophie took over the reins of government in the Duchy as regent for her firstborn son.
In 1470, she was libelled by Frederick of Sombreff. Her sons responded by besieging his Tomburg Castle and setting it on fire. Sophie later rebuilt the castle.
Marriage and issue
Sophie from her marriage had the following children:
- William IV (1455–1511), Duke of Jülich-Berg
- married firstly, in 1472, Countess Elisabeth of Nassau-Saarbrücken (1459-1479)
- married secondly, in 1481, Margravine Sibylle of Brandenburg (1467-1524)
- married Count Johann of Moers and Saarwerden (died in 1507)
- Adolph (1458–1470)
- Gerhard (died young)
- Gisela Meyer: Die Familie von Palant im Mittelalter, Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2004, p. 370
- Historischer Verein für den Niederrhein, insbesondere die Alte Erzdiözese Köln: Annalen des Historischen Vereins für den Niederrhein, insbesondere die Alte Erzdiözese Köln, J. P. Bachem, Cologne, 1856, p. 65 (online)
|This article about a member of the German nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|