||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2015)|
|Traded as||LSE: SOPH|
|Industry||Computer Security, antivirus, computer software|
|Founder||Jan Hruska and Peter Lammer|
|Headquarters||Abingdon, England (UK)|
|Kris Hagerman (CEO)
Nick Bray (CFO)
Joe Levy (CTO)
James Lyne (Director of Technology Strategy)
Matt Fairbanks (CMO)
Number of employees
|Slogan||"Security made simple."|
Sophos is a developer and vendor of computer security software and hardware, providing communication endpoint, encryption, network security, email security and mobile security as well as unified threat management products. Sophos is largely focused on providing security to organisations and businesses.
SophosLabs is the company's global network of threat analysis centres.
Sophos is a privately owned British computer software and hardware company, founded by Jan Hruska and Peter Lammer, and is headquartered in Abingdon, England. The company has subsidiaries in: Australia, Austria, Canada, Dubai (UAE), France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, India, Japan, Netherlands, Poland, Singapore, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. The software production and threat analysis centers (known as SophosLabs) are located in: Abingdon (England), Ahmedabad (India), Budapest (Hungary), Linz (Austria), Sydney (Australia) and Vancouver (Canada). All these SophosLabs serve as threat and malware analysis centers. In addition, in Abingdon there is the development of the antivirus and the UTM, in Budapest the one of the Android, firewall, AntiSpam, URL-related and cloud technologies as well as the main back-end systems development and in Linz encryption technologies.
The company has grown to more than 2,000 employees and, today, it is the biggest European-based computer security firm, with more than 100,000 customer businesses and 100 million customer users in more than 150 countries.
Sophos was founded by Jan Hruska and Peter Lammer and began producing its first antivirus and encryption products in the 1980s.
During the late 1980s and into the 1990s, Sophos primarily developed and sold a range of security technologies in the UK, including encryption tools available for most users (private or business).
In the late 1990s, Sophos concentrated its efforts on the development and sale of antivirus technology, and embarked on a program of international expansion. Meanwhile, Sophos opened several subsidiary operations and moved to selling exclusively with channel partners.
In the late 1990s and early 2000s, Sophos added a series of data security and protection tools and remote device administration tools to its product range .
In 2011, Utimaco Safeware AG were accused of supplying data monitoring and tracking software to partners that have sold to governments such as Syria. Sophos issued a statement of apology and confirmed that they had suspended their relationship with the partners in question and launched a thorough investigation.
In 2012, Sophos acquired what remained of VirusBuster – a Hungarian antivirus firm - after the company had closed. All the developers and the malware analysts from VirusBuster joined Sophos in its new Lab in Budapest, Hungary.
In the 2000s, Sophos also presented its range of Unified Threat Management (UTM) products.
In 2014, Sophos acquired Mojave Networks of San Mateo, California to strengthen Sophos cloud-managed and appliance-based security solutions.
Acquisitions and partnerships
From September 2003 to February 2006, Sophos served as the parent company of ActiveState, a developer of programming tools for dynamic programming languages. In February 2006, ActiveState became an independent company when it was sold to Vancouver-based venture capitalist firm Pender Financial.
In May 2011, Sophos announced it had entered into an agreement to acquire Astaro, a privately held provider of network security solutions, headquartered in Wilmington, Massachusetts (USA) and Karlsruhe, Germany.
In April 2012, Sophos acquired DIALOGS, a privately held provider of mobile management solutions, headquartered in Germany.
In October 2014, Sophos acquired Mojave Networks, a leading cloud based security startup.
- Sophos UTM: a hardware (or software virtual appliance) network firewall including web browsing protection, AntiSpam filter and antivirus protection.
- Next-Generation Firewall
- Web Application Firewall
- Secure Web Gateway
- Secure Email Gateway
- Secure VPN
- Secure Wi-Fi
- Enduser Protection Suite: an Internet Security solution which includes: antivirus, encryption and data protection, web filter, antispam and central management, available for Microsoft Windows, Apple OS X, Linux and Unix distributions (in particular Ubuntu and Oracle Solaris), Android and iOS.
- Endpoint Anti-Virus
- Sophos Cloud
- Mobile Control: a mobile content and device management tool, integrating mobile security, for Android, iOS, Windows Phone and Ubuntu Touch.
- SafeGuard Encryption: an out-of-the-box encryption console for Apple OS X (using Mac FileVault 2 encryption) and Microsoft Windows (using Microsoft BitLocker encryption).
- Virtualization Security
- Server Security
- SharePoint Security
- Network Storage Antivirus
- Antivirus software
- Comparison of antivirus software
- Comparison of computer viruses
- Comparison of firewalls
- Identity-based security
- Security Blogger Awards - 2014 Social Security Blogger Award Winners and Nominees
- "The Ashimmy Blog". ashimmy.com.
- "Sophos: the early years". Naked Security.
- "Sophos Management Team | Global Leaders in IT Security". sophos.com.
- "Apax Partners to acquire majority interest in Sophos Plc".
- "Board of Directors".
- "The Bureau Investigates article".
- "Statement from Sophos on Recent Media Reports".
- "Sophos Board of Directors webpage".
- "Sophos Advances Cloud, Mobile, and Web Security with Acquisition of Mojave Networks".
- "Sophos to launch €217 million offer for shares in Utimaco Safeware AG". sophos.com.
- "Sophos latest news".
- "Apax Partners to acquire majority interest in Sophos Plc".
- "Sophos acquires Astaro".
- "Sophos acquires DIALOGS".
- "Sophos acquires Cyberoam Technologies".
- "Sophos’ Cloud Offerings Expand w/ Acquisition of Mojave".