|Traded as||LSE: SOPH|
|Founder||Jan Hruska and Peter Lammer|
|Headquarters||Abingdon, England (UK)|
|Peter Gyenes (chairman)
Kris Hagerman (CEO)
|Revenue||$446.7 million (2015)|
|$22.2 million (2015)|
|$(60.0) million (2015)|
Number of employees
Sophos Group plc is a security software and hardware company. Sophos develops products for communication endpoint, encryption, network security, email security and mobile security as well as unified threat management. Sophos is focused on providing security software to the mid market and pragmatic enterprise from 100 to 5000 Seat organisations, however they still do protect home users. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Sophos was founded by Jan Hruska and Peter Lammer and began producing its first antivirus and encryption products in 1985.
During the late 1980s and into the 1990s, Sophos primarily developed and sold a range of security technologies in the UK, including encryption tools available for most users (private or business).
In the late 1990s, Sophos concentrated its efforts on the development and sale of antivirus technology, and embarked on a program of international expansion. Meanwhile, Sophos opened several subsidiary operations and moved to selling exclusively with channel partners.
In the late 1990s and early 2000s, Sophos added a series of data security and protection tools and remote device administration tools to its product range.
In 2003 Sophos acquired ActiveState, a North American software company that developed anti-spam software. At that time viruses were being spread primarily through email spam and this allowed Sophos to produce a combined anti-spam and antivirus solution.
In 2006, Peter Gyenes and Steve Munford were named chairman and CEO of Sophos respectively. Jan Hruska and Peter Lammer remain as members of the board of directors.
In 2011, Utimaco Safeware AG (acquired by Sophos in 2008-9) were accused of supplying data monitoring and tracking software to partners that have sold to governments such as Syria. Sophos issued a statement of apology and confirmed that they had suspended their relationship with the partners in question and launched a thorough investigation.
In February 2014, Sophos announced that it had acquired Cyberoam Technologies, a provider of network security products. 
In June 2015, Sophos announced plans to raise $US100 million on the London Stock Exchange.
Acquisitions and partnerships
From September 2003 to February 2006, Sophos served as the parent company of ActiveState, a developer of programming tools for dynamic programming languages. In February 2006, ActiveState became an independent company when it was sold to Vancouver-based venture capitalist firm Pender Financial.
In May 2011, Sophos announced it had entered into an agreement to acquire Astaro, a privately held provider of network security solutions, headquartered in Wilmington, Massachusetts (US) and Karlsruhe, Germany.
In April 2012, Sophos acquired DIALOGS, a privately held provider of mobile management solutions, headquartered in Germany.
In October 2014, Sophos acquired Mojave Networks, a leading cloud based security startup.
- Antivirus software
- Comparison of antivirus software
- Comparison of computer viruses
- Comparison of firewalls
- Identity-based security
- "Prospectus" (PDF). Sophos. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Sophos: the early years". Naked Security.
- "Sophos acquires anti-spam specialist ActiveState". www.sophos.com. Retrieved 2016-01-03.
- "Sophos Management Team | Global Leaders in IT Security". sophos.com.
- "Apax Partners to acquire majority stake in Sophos".
- "Board of Directors".
- "The Bureau Investigates article".
- "Statement from Sophos on Recent Media Reports".
- "Sophos Board of Directors webpage".
- "Sophos Acquires Cyberoam to Boost Layered Defense Portfolio". Infosecurity Magazine.
- "Sophos Plans $100 Million London IPO".
- Adriaan du Plessis (2 October 2008). "Sophos completes takeover offer of Utimaco Safeware AG". ITWeb Technology News.
- "Sophos latest news".
- Robin Wauters (6 May 2011). "Sophos Acquires Internet Security Appliance Maker Astaro". TechCrunch. AOL.
- "Sophos to boost partners' profits with utility billing". Channel Web. 16 May 2013. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Emil Protalinski. "Sophos acquires mobile management provider Dialogs". ZDNet.
- "Sophos Acquires Network Security Firm Cyberoam Technologies - SecurityWeek.Com".
- "Sophos' Cloud Offerings Expand w/ Acquisition of Mojave".
- Wauters, Robin. "Sophos beefs up on online security, acquires Dutch security software firm SurfRight for $31.8 million". Retrieved 2 August 2016.